[Imc-africa] Delegations / committees
mofagio at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 05:26:06 PDT 2011
Amy and all,
Thanks for the amazing work you are doing! Sorry for being absent from
the conversations but I have been reading the logs while travelling.
I second the idea of commitees, as a way to work towards Durban and
account for the different tasks assigned or to be assigned.
I will be based in Nairobi as of July and will reach out to John and
Once in Nairobi, I would like to help organizing the caravan that
could pick up people from Nairobi and other cities across Zibabwe,
Malawi, etc, down to Durban.
We could maybe create a Caravan commitee that can deal with that specific task.
I have a friend based in London who has had the experience to organize
a caravan in India with different activists from rural areas. He would
like to help out in this and other processes, so I have forwarded him
the material about the Durban convergence and once he gets a sense of
what is going on he will join the chat.
What do people in this list think about the caravan? And what do
people think in those countries where the caravan could travel to?
On 6/13/11, Amy L. Dalton <ald at riseup.net> wrote:
> wow, thanks molefi for your quick work!
> i also support the culture committee. perhaps committees that form could be
> requested to report on certain intervals? in my view, committees and task
> forces and such lead to a more robust horizontalism -- but of course this
> requires that the committees and task forces are honest and actually
> accountable to the whole.
> are there differences of opinion on this point on the list? if so we might
> want to discuss it more explicitly or do some reading together or
> ~ amy
> On 6/13/11 6:09 AM, Molefi Mafereka Ndlovu wrote:
>> Hey Russsell greetings IMC Africa massive!
>> i whole heartedly support your observation about formin an imc- Kulture
> crew,(let us be careful of committees they can turn into cabals...ha..
>> on a anada note i was tasked with collating the delegation lists from
> the public archives and come up with the costs. please find copied
> below a rough list of how we are standing at the moment with some
> details outstanding; i will then try to add up possible transport costs
> based on these.
>> hope is alive and so are we...:)
>> peace and unity Africa be free.
>> *Proposed # of delegates; IMC collective; URL on Archive; Proposed
> Names; Gender*
>> 1. *(12)* *IMC Nigeria*
> -ve.html &
> Onyekachi Okoro Emmanuel 2. Philip Kalio 3. Styvn Obodoekwe
>> 4. Constance Meju 5. Tega Edeki 6. Regina Fabian 7. Stella Ijeoma
>> James-chuku 9. Don T. Gomez
>> 2. *(4)* *IMC- DRC Congo
>> DRCongo delegates to attend the convergence in Durban1; Jean Baptiste
> Mulongo ( MR )2; Bénoit Mbambu Mazunda ( MR )3 Mariette Kalango
> Mwayuma ( MRS )4 Sandra Akonga Omba (MRS )
>> 3.*(2) IMC
>> definitely send delegates from Philly IMC to COP17, at least 2Again, but
> perhaps more.
>> 4*. (8) IMC Senegal:
>> http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-africa/2011-May/0527-q3.html *
>> Nickname*Thiaat/ Touré; Denise Sow; Kilifeu, Sekou Diawara,
>> Benedetta/bikomiko, Dominique/Robin des bois, Alioune Diop
>> Pape Gadiaga
>> 5. *(8) IMC
>> Names to be sent later
>> 6. *(8) IMC
>> Voila, la proposition de liste du Mali; - Oumar Traore (M), -
> Bintou (F), - Mariam Traore(F)
>> - Aly Diallo(M), - Alassane Dicko(M), - Massantié Assétou
>> Sangaré (F), - Mamadou Coulibaly (M)Moussa Coulibaly (M)
>> *7*. *(**8)** IMC Kenya-
> http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-africa/2011-May/0526-4u.html *
>> Names forthcoming. Can explore the possibility of traveling by road
> caravan style, then pick up comrades along the way in Tanzania, Zambia,
> Malawi, Zimbabwe and Botswana.
>> 8. *IMC Ambazonia*— to be confirmed
>> 9. *(12) IMC- South Africa*-
> Malaodi Sekake, Jenny Boyce, Beverly Webster, Bongisipho Phewa,
> Mthokozisi Ngcobo, Mambo Mukambilwa , Sandile Desmond Sekeleni,
> Nokubonga ka Seme JHB/ CT to be confirmed.
>> 10*. (6) IMC Zimbabwe- *to be confirmed
>> 11*. (2) IMC Cairo/Egypt - *to be confirmed
>> 12. *(4) IMC New York *to be confirmed
>> 13.* (2) IMC Berlin/ Germany *to be confirmed
>> 14. *(4)* *IMC Rwanda* to be confirmed IMC
>> 15. *(2) IMC Caribbean regions* to be confirmed
>> 16* (2) IMC Mozambique* to be confirmed
>> 17*. (2) IMC Brazil/ Latin America* to be confirmed
>> TOTAL Number of Delegates: 120 ( too high consider revising)
> *From:* russell shoatz <rshoatz at gmail.com>
>> *To:* imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org
>> *Sent:* Mon, June 13, 2011 11:45:01 AM
>> *Subject:* Re: [Imc-africa] Imc-africa Digest, Vol 87, Issue 17
>> Greetings All its Russell
>> Sorry I couldn't log in... I propose a cultural committee to answer the
> questions raised about fundraising (CDs,Dead Prez, Rage, Annie Defranco
> ect.) in the states and abroad. This is very important as I have seen a
> lot of efforts and RELATIONSHIPS in the past wasted
>> because the Artist think that the org is unprofessional not
>> understanding some of the basic Artist requirements ie(great sound ect.)
> I would like to be point person for Dead Prez as I have already started
> dialog with them about the project and have a history with them on these
> type of events from my founding of BLU magazine. I feel it very
> important that we create an image/package like Dee dee was saying but
> geared specifically for the artist/musician... This will help us to come
> across more organized/professional...
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 2:38 AM,
>> <imc-africa-request at lists.indymedia.org
>> <mailto:imc-africa-request at lists.indymedia.org>> wrote:
>>> Send Imc-africa mailing list submissions to
>>> imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org
>> <mailto:imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org>
>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>> imc-africa-request at lists.indymedia.org
>> <mailto:imc-africa-request at lists.indymedia.org>
>>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>> imc-africa-owner at lists.indymedia.org
>> <mailto:imc-africa-owner at lists.indymedia.org>
>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Imc-africa digest..."
>>> Today's Topics:
>>> 1. Re: LOGs for June 12 IRC Chat. (charles kimani)
> Message: 1
>>> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:38:45 +0100 (BST)
>>> From: charles kimani <kochfmchalo at yahoo.co.uk
>> <mailto:kochfmchalo at yahoo.co.uk>>
>>> Subject: Re: [Imc-africa] LOGs for June 12 IRC Chat.
>>> To: African IMCs and the imc project in Africa
>>> <imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org
>> <mailto:imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org>>
>>> Message-ID: <91404.54432.qm at web28514.mail.ukl.yahoo.com
>> <mailto:91404.54432.qm at web28514.mail.ukl.yahoo.com>>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>> Hi guys greeting from Nairobi...my apologies have been away for some
>> time,i will jump straight in on the fundraising i saw on an earlier
> thread MI of dead prez? one wants to come through so here is ma two
> cents..we got in our team a hiphop artist who has worked with MI one
> before and he is like he can reach out at Mi and see the possibility of
> doing a climate advocay track ...we can use it for fundraising..........
>>> Warm Regards
>>> I will not lose, for even in defeat, there?s a valuable lesson
>> learned, so it evens up for me.? ?Jay Z? Blueprint 2
>>> --- On Sun, 12/6/11, Molefi Mafereka Ndlovu <molefindlovu at yahoo.com
>> <mailto:molefindlovu at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>>> From: Molefi Mafereka Ndlovu <molefindlovu at yahoo.com
>> <mailto:molefindlovu at yahoo.com>>
>>> Subject: [Imc-africa] LOGs for June 12 IRC Chat.
>>> To: imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org
> <mailto:imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org>
>>> Cc: imc-sa at lists.indymedia.org <mailto:imc-sa at lists.indymedia.org>
> Date: Sunday, 12 June, 2011, 15:16
>>> *** motho [~motho at 146.230.wkp.iq <mailto:motho at 146.230.wkp.iq>] has
>> joined #africa
>>> [15:16] *** motho deedee amy peter systier ekes @ChanServ mark alster
>>> [15:16] *** Channel created on Mon Feb 28 09:51:56 2011
>>> [15:17] <deedee> hi molefi
>>> [15:17] <motho> Greetings IMC Africa, apologies for my delay in
>> reaching the chat
>>> [15:17] <motho> hey deedee!
>>> [15:17] *** ross [~user at vayj-86-87-125-092.jax.bellsouth.net
>> <mailto:user at vayj-86-87-125-092.jax.bellsouth.net>] has joined #africa
>>> [15:18] <motho> Hi Ross!
>>> [15:18] <ross> what's up motho ?
>>> [15:18] <motho> im kool.good to see you too
>>> [15:19] <motho> Proposed Agenda:
>>> [15:19] <motho>??
>>> [15:19] <motho> 1. Opening and Intros/ apologies ( 5-10min)
>>> [15:19] <motho> 2. Updates and matters arising (20 min)
>>> [15:19] <motho> 3. Funding stratergy and documentation (25 min) [15:19]
> <motho> 4. Date of next session (5min)
>>> [15:19] <motho> 5. Closure
>>> [15:20] <motho> so our agenda is somting like this; shall we get onto
>> the content matters?
>>> [15:21] <ross> sure let's do it.
>>> [15:21] <deedee> sounds good
>>> [15:21] <motho> We urgently need to update our funding proposals so we
>> can send them off.
>>> [15:23] *** amy [~amy at 69.112.jqz.hwy <mailto:amy at 69.112.jqz.hwy>] has
>> quit [Quit: CGI:IRC]
>>> [15:23] *** amy [~amy at sil-2808o16o.dyn.optonline.net
>> <mailto:amy at sil-2808o16o.dyn.optonline.net>] has joined #africa
>>> [15:24] <motho> Hey Amy!
>>> [15:25] <ross> motho: do we have funding proposal docs???I've not been
>> paying very close attention over the last week.
>>> [15:25] <motho> shud we expect more participants?
>>> [15:25] <deedee> i haven't had to time read the proposals, but would
>> like to help. also patrick b may have some ideas.
>>> [15:26] <ross> he is the idea man afterall!
>>> [15:26] <motho> Ross yeh; am tryin to pull it out just a sec.
>>> [15:26] <deedee> where is sphinx?
>>> [15:27] <amy> hi all, i tried to type a greeting before, did it go
>>> [15:27] <motho> heres' the link
>>> [15:27] <ross> amy: no greeting came through
>>> [15:28] <motho> Hey Amy. we can see you now. Sphinx has not signed on
>>> [15:29] <amy> hi, i can only be on for 20 minutes before church. i am
>> working on expense documentation now.??could someone work with me...
>>> [15:30] <amy> ... to identify what tasks need to be done first in
>> order to enable the durban fundraising to go forward?
>>> [15:30] <ross> amy: what do you need?
>>> [15:30] <ross> lol
>>> [15:30] <amy> sorry, a 2-part installment! :)
>>> [15:31] <ross> I'm not sure I understand what we need to do from the
>> Dakar budget that will affect the Durban budget.
>>> [15:33] <deedee> The proposal needs some documentation of the Dakar
>> meeting-- photos, video, annecdotal stories to make it real to
>> funders.??the budget i know is realistic, but will scare off the funders
> i am thinking of. maybe it would be best to not put the total, but break
> into sections. perhaps by country.
>>> [15:34] <amy> i think the budget needs updating based on the delegate
>> numbers that are being sent currently. i think doing this would reduce
> it by a good bit. this is a task someone could take on.
>>> [15:35] <motho> most Africa delegates have not exceed ten people per
>> group shall we limit delagation sizes to ten persons?
>>> [15:35] <amy> motho, i had suggested less than this previously...
> [15:36] <amy> ... i can't remember now what i suggested but it might
>> have been 4?
>>> [15:37] <motho> Ok that is fine also. lets agree and do the rest of
>> the calculations. i volunteer to help what do i need to do?
>>> [15:38] <motho> deedee we have quite a lot of material on the IMC
>> Africa site we could use some of this?
>>> [15:38] <amy> motho, all: to compile revised travel numbers, i would
>> suggest the following:
>>> [15:39] <amy> (1) go thru the imc-africa list archives and find all
>> the emails where people reported delegate numbers and / or names. save
> the urls for these emails so as to have this record. (sphinx has done
> this with care in the past.)
>>> [15:40] <amy> (2) make a tally of these numbers by country, and then
>> search for plane fare estimates for each.
>>> [15:40] <amy> is this helpful -- done.
>>> [15:40] <motho> sounds doable- done.
>>> [15:41] <amy> oh, one more thing, this would be in the last month
>> only, since the request for delegates was issued about a month ago,
> right? i just remember seeing it in the last month. kola just sent this
>>> [15:41] <deedee> btw there is a good summary about indymedia africa by
>> Sphinz at http://deepdishwavesofchange.org/taxonomy/term/2409??and
> http://youtu.be/O2lmyn6y2Is??that should be brought to the attention of
> potential funders.??and YES Molefi there is terrific stuff on the site.
> All that is MUCH more important than obsessing over the Dakar budget
> expenses. It's over. and it was great. let's get Durban going!
>>> [15:42] <motho> agreed.
>>> [15:42] <amy> dee dee, i'm not sure who is obsessing, but please try
>> to keep it positive. i've been getting offlist requests from several
> folks to deal with this so i've responded by making time. your comment
> makes me feel like i'm being hit from both sides, critiqued for not
> doing it, critiqued for doing it. just clarifying.
>>> [15:44] <motho> i think deedee meant getting down to do the Durban
>> portion henceforth :)
>>> [15:44] <amy> i agree with that! lets focus forward.
>>> [15:45] <ross> so do we want to create a more appealing funding
>> request doc on the wiki page, or do we want to do that elsewhere?
>>> [15:45] <motho> Ok. i will do #1 and #2 on ammy's list- deadline?
> [15:45] <motho> lets make it more appealing Ross/ all.
>>> [15:45] <amy> LOL
>>> [15:46] <amy> i agree with deedee's suggestion to incorporate images
>>> [15:47] <motho> lets make a new final Call for delegates!
>>> [15:47] <deedee> So what about doing a fundraising concert? would Dead
>> Prez be interested in doing something in Philly or Brooklyn? that was
> very helpful in seattle-- we got Rage and annie defranco.
>>> [15:48] <motho>??deedee;Russel suggested this in his last mail. [15:48]
> <deedee> i thought he was speaking of doing a concert in
>> Durban which is also a great idea.
>>> [15:49] <motho> he mentioned a pre- Durban fundraiser. as well ...i
>>> [15:50] <amy> its a great idea to follow up with russell on this. i
>> think he's best reached on FB
>>> [15:51] <deedee> I haven't been participating on the wiki but I'll try
>> to put together some images and interviews re Dakar that might be useful
> and it would be better??to do??it on the wiki
>>> [15:51] <amy> that's awesome deedee, then this can be used for an
>> appeal and other funding requests, right?
>>> [15:52] <motho> I will send a consolidated delegates list with travel
>> fare estimates early in the week.
>>> [15:53] <amy> WOW! we're rolling. can i suggest two other tasks? and
>> then i have to go.
>>> [15:53] <deedee> that would be really good. btw i was impressed with
>> the amount of women on the lists. make sure they don't get cut!
>>> [15:53] <motho> Who is dealing with actual content of convergence meet
>> in Durban- programs and activities?
>>> [15:54] <ross> motho: I don't think anyone specifically.
>>> [15:54] <motho> definately more women. how do we get down to planning
>> content and duration of convergence?
>>> [15:55] <ross> plenaries!
>>> [15:55] <motho> LOL!!!
>>> [15:55] <ross> ;)
>>> [15:55] <motho> Less pleneries please!
>>> [15:56] <ross> I'm happy to work on content planning.
>>> [15:56] <motho> ross; you go boy! happy to chip in wher possible.
> [15:57] <motho> Amy you had more inputs b4 leaving us?
>>> [15:57] <amy> yes, here are my two suggestions: * someone should reach
>> out to UC-IMC about being our fiscal sponsor again, and perhaps try to
> negotiate a lower fiscal sponsorship fee * someone should draft a letter
> to X-Y, because they never gave funding to us, and that correspondence
> got left hanging.??
>>> [15:57] <amy> i could take on one of those; you can assign it to me
>> and let me know.
>>> [15:58] <amy> i will also send an update to list on reporting by early
>> in the week.
>>> [15:58] <amy> love you ALL --
>>> [15:58] *** amy left #africa 
>>> [15:59] <motho> Sounds like we are getting somewhere.
>>> [15:59] <deedee> i know nicole (who is on west coast now and can't
>> wake up this early!??would have some ideas and can work with emem maybe
> to think about workshops. i am just now emailing her to be sure to read
> the archive of this chat.
>>> [15:59] <ross> yeah nicole had a number of suggestions a few meetings
>>> [16:00] <motho> do you think the time shud be adjusted?
>>> [16:00] <motho> at our next session?
>>> [16:00] <ross> well...I'm never a good bet at 9am EST :(
>>> [16:01] <motho> we aught to continue keeping in touch between IRC's.
> [16:01] <ross> Agreed...I'm on this channel most of the time.
>>> [16:01] <motho> Sunday is a very taxing day down here as well.
>>> [16:01] <deedee> i think that connecting with the music community
>> might be an interesting thing to discuss-- perhaps setting up an imc
> africa fund for successful bands to contribute to.
>>> [16:02] <ross> that's a great idea deedee
>>> [16:02] <motho> That was one thing we missed in dakar.
>>> [16:02] <ross> yeah...we should enhance the cultural components of the
>> convergence I think.
>>> [16:03] <ross> and by cultural I mean artistic.
>>> [16:03] <motho> Agreed. We should try wrap up. I will send copies of
>> the logs to the list? do we do this again next week? same time?
>>> [16:04] <ross> or we could adjust the time...
>>> [16:04] <motho> Will send #1 and #2 tasks off lists by Tuesday. [16:05]
> <deedee> I will contact Asif who did this magazine
>> http://www.akpress.org/2001/items/awolmagazine??and would be a great
> resource-- to lead a workshop and to help us set up a fund.
>>> [16:05] <motho> any time before 6PM here in SA because transport is a
>>> [16:06] <deedee> gotta go babysit my grandson... glad to be on
>> board.??take care.xx dd
>>> [16:06] <ross> bye deedee
>>> [16:06] <ross> motho: what time is it there now?
>>> [16:07] <motho> bye deedee. ross it is 04:07 PM RSA.
>>> [16:08] <ross> so do you need to end before 6pm?
>>> [16:08] <motho> yep.
>>> [16:08] <motho> 5.30PM is best.
>>> [16:09] <ross> so maybe we try to begin @ 4:30pm RSA?
>>> [16:09] <motho> Thats kool.
>>> [16:09] <ross> this would give everyone west of me a semi-reasonable
>> time to wake up.
>>> [16:10] <motho> then so shall it be.
>>> [16:10] <ross> ;)
>>> [16:10] <ross> let there be light, brother.
>>> [16:10] *** deedee [~deedee at nsr-94-48-12-937.nyc.res.rr.com
>> <mailto:deedee at nsr-94-48-12-937.nyc.res.rr.com>] has quit [Quit: CGI:IRC
>>> [16:10] <motho> Lets close here for now and keep in touch through the
>>> [16:11] <ross> sounds good...
>>> [16:11] <motho> Take care ma brada from anada moda. ONE LOVE.
>>> [16:12] <ross> ONE LOVE...talk to you soon!
>>> ?Molefi Mafereka Ndlovu
>>> Centre for Civil Society
>>> University of Kwazulu-Natal
>>> Memorial Tower Building
>>> Howard College Campus
>>> Tel: (+27)031 260 1506/3577
>>> Fax: 031 260 2502
>>> alt e-mail:molefi at union.org.za <mailto:molefi at union.org.za>/
>>> ccs at ukzn.ac.za <mailto:ccs at ukzn.ac.za>
>>> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
>>> Imc-africa mailing list
>>> Imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org <mailto:Imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org>
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> Imc-africa mailing list
>>> Imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org <mailto:Imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org>
>>> End of Imc-africa Digest, Vol 87, Issue 17
>> ABOVE ALL ELSE
>> Russell Shoatz III
>> Ankh Marketing and Communications LLC
>> GRIOT Consultants
>> 179 11th St. - 2nd Floor
>> SF, CA, 94103
>> Cell 347 697 5390
>> Imc-africa mailing list
>> Imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org <mailto:Imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org>
>> Imc-africa mailing list
>> Imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org
> Imc-africa mailing list
> Imc-africa at lists.indymedia.org
More information about the Imc-africa