[imc-auckland-video] Banks thread

Kathryn Lehman (FOA SELL) k.lehman at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Aug 13 05:58:30 PDT 2004

It is interesting to read this thread from Argentina, where former President
Carlos Menem has been a smiling sporty popular-populist fun guy who made
people like him for more than a decade. He enriched himself and impoverished
the country by following IMF mandates and sending this nation´s capital out
through Bank Boston and Banco Galicia which put 50% of the people under the
poverty line, he is also accused (Argentine Congress report) of supervising
narcotrafficking and arms dealing along with murder in at least one case; he
is now in Chile facing extradition for myriad charges. There is still a
substantial portion of the population who genuinely like Menem and would put
him back in power because his TV image allows him to appear so authentic.
This level of criminal activity doesn´t happen without genuinely friendly
guys smiling for the camera.
Kathryn

mandy.scott at paradise.net.nz
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 2:33 PM
To: Auckland Indymedia video list

My friend works at the parliamentary library, she was expecting Winston
Peters to make her skin crawl, instead she found him so charming she
found herself actually blushing. (shy wee librarians, ya know!) And I'm
also thinking of that semi-leftie who made the doco about Bush's
campaign trail, he seemed warm, funny and human.

Just because someone has charisma, doesn't stop them from being lying,
fascist, bastards. Take Banksie down!

But no, you are right, a subtle and complex analysis is probably the way
to go, just remember he has pissed off a lot of his natural constituency
around Tamaki.