[imc-auckland-video] Banks thread

Chloe Heffernan (FOA POL) c.heffernan at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 12 18:38:18 PDT 2004

I agree with what Kim said - you really feel unsure about how much of the
act is put on and how much is honestly John Banks the man.

I also got the impression that he didn't know what to make of us: naive
youngsters, earnest objective journalists, Fletcher lackies, malluable media
wannabies...so his style chopped and changed a lot over the interview.

I think  he often puts across a coherent, right wing view point, which I
don't agree with (as I don't agree with his assumptions) but I think is
valid on its own terms.

At other times I think his arguments are riddled with internal
contradictions - as is typical of populism. Here I think we can show him
hanging himself.

Rather than demonise his politics or the man (who is a charmer if ever there
was one) - which is easy if you don't hold his assumptions about the world,
I think we should investigate why his style of politics are so successful -
favourable media, populist language, his consituency vote, the left
splitting its vote, the electoral system, his financial backing, his
professional campaign

To: imc-auckland-video at lists.indymedia.org
Subject: [imc-auckland-video] Banks thread

Hey all,
Thought some might be interested in this.  I'm not into some of the
hard-core language, physical attribute assasinations, and 'venting'
posts, but there's interesting detail amongst the blather.  Everyone has
anecdotes about JB it seems. It would be very easy for the documentary
to paint JB black - does the doco want to opt for dark grey, or
striations of grey. Something to think about for the meeting. Cheers, G

http://www.nzmusic.com/topic.cfm?i=9436&start=1

believed to be clean.