[IMC-Audio] audio editors for macs

kevin eleusa at gmx.net
Mon Mar 21 10:51:20 PST 2005

FLAC
Free Lossless Audio Codec

its an audio codec and format. its like mp3 and ogg-vorbis en the sense
that the data is compressed, which basically means a flac archive (or an
mp3 or ogg-vorbis archive) won't take up as much room on your hard drive
as raw audio data (an mp3 of a song will be much smaller than the .wav
version of the same piece of music for example). compression usually
implies loss of quality. though there are a lot of variable which
determine how much quality is lost, its genenarally safe to say that a
mp3 version of a piece of music won't sound as "good" as its raw
counterpart. ogg, many say, will sound "better", but there is still loss
in the compression process.

Flac is lossless, which means, the compressed data will sound "as good
as" the original data. since it is compressed, the archives are much
smaller than say a .wav for example (but a good deal larger that the
lossy compression formats). since its is lossless and compressed, its is
probably a good choice for archiving audio. it is also probably possible
to stream it (use flac for internet radio transmissiones), but since
flac is a good deal heavier than ogg, you'd need a lot of bandwidth on
both ends of the transmission.

in terms of why to use these formats, there are both technological and
philosofical advantages. many say that ogg sounds "better". which seems
to be true at least at low bandwidths. the philosophy has more to do
with the general case for why its probably not a good idea to let a
corporate monopoly  maintain absolute control of software as a means of
comunication and distrobutoin of information.

"to google" means to go to the search engine at http://google.com and
perform a search. if you put in flac, you'll get a lot of sites with
info about flac. etc, etc.

here are some links:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/
http://www.vorbis.com/