[Imc-be] Follow up of proposal for imc-process global by turlututu
anarsteven at pandora.be
Thu Mar 3 13:51:13 PST 2005
As we are all very patient people, nobody wanted to hasten the
decision-making on the level of global imc-process concerning the demand for
the url 'belgium.indymedia.org' for the future syndication site.
This demand was first sent by Turlututu, as a representative of the joint
local Belgian imc's, in June 2004, see:
As it seemed quite difficult for the imc-process list to actually resolve
the Belgian question quickly, the demand was refrased by Turlututu, in
We are now March 2005, nine months after the first demand to imc-process.
As I am not constantly checking this process-list, and the
imc-resolve-techniques are not really clear to me yet, I would ask somebody
from this list, preferably Turlututu himself, to report to the members of
this list, and to other interested volonteers from the local imc's, what has
been the evolution so far in resolving the Belgian question.
What was the general answer we got, are we happy with it, do we need to take
further steps, do we need to change course, or was there a simple 'no' to
I ask this now because, you know, patience has its limits too. At least for
me. (or is this list dead, albeit not officially, yet?)
Another very very small thing I'd like to know, is when the constructors of
the syndication site are planning to actyally have it ready to go online. I
know it has only been like 19 months or so since it was first announced, but
then again, patience is not my biggest virtue ;-p
(when I look at the testsite http://besyn.buffaloimc.org/nl/, it doesn't
look bad, but it doesn't look ready to launch either)
If Turlututu or somebody else should report that there hasn't been any
movement towards resolving our demand for the above mentioned url for the
last half year, I would rrrrrrreally like all of us to consider to launch
the syndication site anyway, under a different url-name (provisional or
not). And please please please let us not get stuck on trying to decide what
name exactly. Frankly I don't care much, as long as the thing finally HAS a
name, and can be launched, and can be added on all the imc-wires.
Greetingz from Steven,
Member of imc-ovl.
Ps: As a naughty reminder, underneath is the original proposal from August
2003, that was the ultimate basis of the imc-be-list that I am using right
"Hello Imc Vl, Imc Belgium,
This is a proposal of both Indymedia West-Vlaanderen and Indymedia Liege
about a framework for Belgian Imc's.
It's send to imc-belgium-process list and published on the testsite of
Indymedia Vlaanderen (since their mailinglist is unfindable for me).
Besides, it's send in a seperate mail to 2 global indymedia mailingists
(new-imc & imc-process).
--- Proposal ---
[ History ]
There are now in Belgium 2 official imc's (belgium and wvl) and 2 who
applied for it (vl and liege). There are 2 truely local imc's and 2
superregional lmc's. We, liege and wvl, want too go further into the
localisation process of indymedia in Belgium and propose to discontinue
Instead we want to focus on local (preferably provincial imc's with even
more local subsections) imc's. If this goes on, we can end up with like 11
functional local imc's in belgium (10 provincial + brussels).
[ Actual Proposal ]
* We discontinue superregional imc's.
* existing superregional imc's can reform into provincial ones (with
removing from cities list) & go (as they will be new collectives) into the
* People will build a belgium portal site that has 2 facets:
* syndication from the local imc's (articles and newswires, a bit
like the global featureswire or indymedia.org.au)
* Eventually an open publishing newswire for global news (and
maybe for belgium news). newswire is maintained by volunteers, at least
one from each collective
* (there's obviously a third facet: communication towards readers
about the new model & info on all collective and so on)
* developping a structure together to share facets we can share
(equipment, a financial structure, ...).
* Safe the old belgian site somehow as an archive (publishing & commenting
[ Timeline & Process]
* We propose a deadline of 1 week. This deadline can be extended upon a
* Everyone can comment this. However only collective responses from an imc
will be seen as an answer
* The decision is taken by consensus. If consensus is not possible, we'll
move to 75% supermajority
[ Questions & remarks ]
* Pseudo Punk (bart at indymedia.org) will follow this up and will send
al necessary reports
* If you have additional questions, feel free to ask them. You will
More information about the Imc-be