[IMC-Boston-Discuss] explanation of on-list vs. off-list in 48 words--LUR...

Matthew Williams mw21 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 7 15:10:30 PDT 2005

I think the workshops Andrew suggests are an excellent idea.

I certainly was not accusing anyone of trying to intentionally thwart
the democratic process by excluding people from decision-making. I
don't think anyone was. As I said in my last e-mail, the problem is
that sometimes these things can happen *unintentionally*. Come one,
haven't any of you done something that didn't have the results you
expected, like accidentally hurting someone's feelings? When you're
dealing with groups, there are actually certain regular patterns to how
they work, and the creation of informal, unintended hierarchies in
consensus groups that aren't careful about keeping lines of
communication open is one of them. Not because anyone was trying to
shut people out, but because people didn't realize they were doing it.
One of the ways to keep undemocratic decisions from being made is to
try to keep communication channels as open as possible, by discussing
ideas on list and in meetings. Yes, sometimes things will happen
off-list and that's fine--as long as they are then brought to
everyone's attention on list, in meeting or both, as Jon suggests. But
I feel like as much discussion as possible should happen on list.

-- Matt