[IMC-Boston-Discuss] Ps: the office

Sofia JarrinT sofiajt at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 14:39:03 PDT 2005

I forgot to mention that I'm not too worried about
finding a new place when we're ready to do so. I just
did a quick search on Craig's list and there's lots of
people looking to share office space for $100-150.
Ideally, though, we can find something for free...

cheers,
sofia

--- Sofia JarrinT <sofiajt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hi dave,
> Thank you so much for the feedback. Yes, I think it
> poses no harm to revisit this.  For example, are the
> 6
> terminals ours or are they Mass Global's? Are we
> assuming we could use them at all times?
>
> How often do we get calls?
>
> I think having an office that we're actually using
> would be awesome, please don't get me wrong.  I
> envision it as a place for people to work on pieces,
> do  video and audio editing, where we can hold
> meetings, etc.
>
> I just feel that we're working a little bit
> backwards.
>  We're just beginning to do fundraising, and I would
> love to invest some of the money we made last
> Saturday
> on making more money (t-shirts?), on purchasing that
> equipment that working groups have been talking
> about
> getting (for example, a cheap audio gadget for the
> radio group to do interviews), on publishing print
> Indynews.
>
> We also don't have enough people to take care of the
> office, and although I think you've been amazing at
> doing so (thank you doesn't say enough!), we will be
> better off when we have more people.  I'm all for
> doing more outreach.
>
> in solidarity,
> sofia
>
> --- dave smith <davewreckoning at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I would dispute that having a central location
> where
> > our biz is situated is
> > not working out it .  I come here to check the
> > office e-mail and to take
> > adavantage of the resources it offers (internet,
> > printer, regional calling)
> > to do the work I do for the IMC, also I am, as far
> > as I know the only one
> > fielding messages left on our voice mail.   So
> yeah,
> > having this resource
> > here has become pretty important to my
> participation
> > in indymedia.  Beyond
> > that, we have an awesome resource here IF WE
> ACTUAL
> > START DOING OUTREACH, we
> > have access to 6 computer terminals here, 5 with
> > internet access.  If we do
> > start getting more volunteers, having a central
> > location where they can come
> > in and do work would be great, also there is
> > everything you need here to
> > work on a story if you do not personally have a
> > computer and whatnot.
> >
> > This office could potentially be the most
> important
> > resource that we have
> > and, a public place where folks can tap in to what
> > we are doing and where we
> > have resources on hand so folks can participate.
> > Sophia's proposal is
> > having the ironic effect of making me realize this
> > and I will come to the
> > next meeting with a proposal for a plan to
> maximize
> [...]

"Truly, there is no future without forgiveness." Desmond Tutu

"Non-violence is not inaction. It is not discussion. It is not for the timid or weak...Non-violence is hard work. It is the willingness to sacrifice. It is the patience to win." Cesar Chavez