[IMC-Boston-Discuss] erasing list archives

Sofia JarrinT sofiajt at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 14:19:28 PDT 2005

hi,
I hope I'm not misunderstanding, but I am definitely
opposed to erasing/deleting archived emails from our
lists.  Pete, I'm sorry that your boss has seen those,
but I don't think the entire group should suffer for
heated arguments we've all had on the internet.  I,
for one, constantly refer to our archives to look into
BIMC policies and discussion we've had about different
processes.  It's incredibly useful and it would be a
terrible thing to lose.

I would like to Block any such attempts to delete old
emails.

I am not opposed to having it somehow protected for
members, but it would have to be public anyway
(meaning, that anyone who wants to become a member
would have access... much like the Dispatch List is
now. Not a huge difference).

This is a good incentive, I think, to keep our
discussion on lists polite.

thanks,
Sofia

--- Pete Stidman <pstidman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think there are accountability issues that would
> come up- maintaining transparency has been a mantra
> of
> the group for a long time.
>
> I would prefer that we erase these emails whether we
> make the list limited membership or not- since the
> group could make the emails public at any time,
> collectively or individually.  ALready they are
> archived on google I am sure.
>
> I think we should think about asking people to bring
> their accusations to face to face meetings rather
> than
> on the internet.  Not only is it better from an
> interpersonal perspective, it will save new and old
> members from burnout and fatigue.
>
> reading long emails sux.
>
> -Pete
>

> --- Matthew Williams <mw21 at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > I think we've pretty clearly established that,
> while
> > e-mail is good for
> > routine communications, when it comes to
> > disagreements, it's a  very
> > poor medium for settling them. When you're talking
> > face-to-face (or
> > even by phone), it's easier to see when the other
> > person isn't
> > understanding you and clarify what you mean. The
> > give and take
> > necessary for dialogue and consensus seems to go
> > better. And the
> > person's intended tone is much clearer when you
> can
> > at least hear their
> > voice than by e-mail. I think that may have been
> the
> > problem with many
> > of your e-mails, Andrew--what you meant to come
> > across as enthusiasm or
> > something like that, actually came across in a
> > fairly overbearing,
> > abrasive fashion to me and I suspect others as
> well.
> >
> > On Pete's concern about publicly archived e-mails
> > that make him look
> > like an asshole, I think one solution may be to
> > simply make it so our
> > archives are only available to list members, not
> the
> > general public.
> > That would also do something to address the
> problem
> > of trolls who read
> > the archives of our lists, then quote us out of
> > context on the site. I
> > guess making the lists not publicly accessible
> could
> > raise some
> > accountability issues, but I don't think that many
> > people really go
> > digging through our archives anyway and mostly
> they
> > seem to be trouble
> > makers. People with genuine concerns can still
> post
> > their complaints to
> > the site or e-mail us. And if someone really wants
> > to keep tabs on us
> > that badly, they can join the lists ... it would
> [...]

"Truly, there is no future without forgiveness." Desmond Tutu

"Non-violence is not inaction. It is not discussion. It is not for the timid or weak...Non-violence is hard work. It is the willingness to sacrifice. It is the patience to win." Cesar Chavez