[Imc-chicago-audio] [CIMC-work] Can anyone record audio of this event?

Kelly Pierce kkellyp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 09:42:09 PST 2010

Here are my suggestions on field recording gear that deliver broadcast
quality results on the cheap:

*The Zoom H1 recorder can make .wav recordings.  It’s only $99 and
will give fairly good results for spoken word audio.  At this price,
this recorder is a no brainer for the quality it offers. It’s new,
being available only since this past August.
*An external microphone for the recorder.  I use something similar to
the Audio-Technica AT8004.  It is rather sensitive and produces a warm
sound.  Good microphones cost as much as the H1 recorder but are worth
the price in what they deliver.
*A wind screen for the external microphone.
*A mono cable with a 1/8-inch plug into the recorder and XlR plug on
the other end to connect to the microphone or extension cable. I
purchased this and the microphone along with the windscreen at Bradley
Broadcast.
*25 foot of microphone cable.  I purchased this at guitar Center. It
has two XlR plugs on it.
*Assorted audio plugs for connecting to ¼ inch outlets and short audio
cables for these connections.
*A pair of basic headphones to monitor the recording.
*The final piece of gear is a tripod audio stand with easel case.
Many places don’t like folks to connect to their PA systems.
Sometimes their microphone stands can’t support two microphones taped
together.  A stand solves this problem.  The easel case (thanks Chris)
makes lugging this around anywhere, including the bus and train,
possible.

I put all this into a camera bag along with extra batteries, scissors,
drywall tape and electrical tape when I go on location to record. This
set up will produce quality results comparable to the mainstream folks
who have gear costing 10 to 20 times as much.

Kelly