[imc-cms] CMS + Techmeet + Malandro

john duda john at manifestor.org
Sat Jul 26 18:59:16 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 10:52:10PM +0200, Occam wrote:

> d.) Alternative to ICE
>
> It would also possible to make a distribution network with a
> combination of XMPP (Jabber) as transport, and Atom as representation
> of the resources (article, content). This would allow a much more
> open network without the limitations of ICE.

Has anyone played around with CouchDB?  I'm sceptical of the utility
of object-serialization as a strategy for persistence - it seems to me
that would tie things very tightly to the particular language/cms
choices we're going to make.  If I'm thinking about what I'd like to
see in a new indymedia codebase, it's largely about combining the
damage-resistant, security minded aspects of what I understand about
the ICE proposals along with easy access to open data.  It seems that
if the idea is to have all indy content floating in a distibuted cloud
of data, it should be easy to remix and repurpose that data. Looking
at CouchDB (superficially) it seems to have a lot of really neat
qualities:

[from http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb/]

  Apache CouchDB is a distributed, fault-tolerant and schema-free
  document-oriented database accessible via a RESTful HTTP/JSON
  API. Among other features, it provides robust, incremental
  replication with bi-directional conflict detection and resolution,
  and is queryable and indexable using a table-oriented view engine
  with JavaScript acting as the default view definition language.

Nice things I like about this:

-you can pull data out of the store with nothing more complicated than
 an HTTP (presumably HTTPS?) request.

-it's set up with the intent of providing the kind of distributed
 datastore we're looking for

-it does indexing

-it shoots back something so easy to use by a browser that one could,
 in a limit case, imagine an indymedia "site" which is basically an
 html page with some javascript in it to talk to the db.

Other useful things I've seen poking through the documentation
indicate that there's a lot of easy ways to make the REST operations
protected with various identification/authentication mechanisms.

That all being said, I've never even done a hello world using CouchDB,
but it seems really interesting...

Also, how can folks who can't make it out physically participate in
Techmeet?  Irc?  Streaming audio/video of sessions?

-john

--

this is where my public key can be found:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 03817826