[imc-cms] CMS + Techmeet + Malandro

yossarian yossarian at aktivix.org
Sun Jul 27 08:03:25 PDT 2008

john duda wrote:

> Has anyone played around with CouchDB?

Yep, I have been investigating it and took a crack at a hello-world
style app last week.  It works fine locally, I didn't try to set up any
of the replication or clustering.  The test app was done using Ruby, the
Merb framework (http://merbivore.com) and the Datamapper ORM
(http://datamapper.org/).  It took about an hour to persist an article
from start to finish, exclusive of the time it took me to figure out
that Datamapper works with CouchDB .8.0 but not earlier versions.  I put
up a blog post about how to install it,
http://escapegoat.org/2008/7/17/installing-merb.

<snip>

> [from http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb/]
>
>   Apache CouchDB is a distributed, fault-tolerant and schema-free
>   document-oriented database accessible via a RESTful HTTP/JSON
>   API. Among other features, it provides robust, incremental
>   replication with bi-directional conflict detection and resolution,
>   and is queryable and indexable using a table-oriented view engine
>   with JavaScript acting as the default view definition language.
>
> Nice things I like about this:
>
> -you can pull data out of the store with nothing more complicated than
>  an HTTP (presumably HTTPS?) request.
>
> -it's set up with the intent of providing the kind of distributed
>  datastore we're looking for

I was thinking exactly these things.  Auto-versioning too.

> Also, how can folks who can't make it out physically participate in
> Techmeet?  Irc?  Streaming audio/video of sessions?

I am also interested in this, I can't make it physically but am
interested in contributing what I can.

Yossarian