[Imc-communication] imc 10-year meeting (repost irc log from March 26 meeting)
idiot at jaysand.com
Fri May 1 02:02:01 PDT 2009
This is a repost of the log from the March 26 IRC
meeting to discuss the 10 year indymedia gathering/s.
01[14:08] <Jay2> Hi everyone! happy to see you all.
[14:08] <@toya> hello
[14:08] <bradley> hey
[14:09] <@elisa> :)
01[14:09] <Jay2> Have we begun yet, or should we begin? :)
[14:10] <@toya> we should begin
[14:10] <@elisa> and start with presentations?
[14:11] <caillou> salut! caillou from paris
[14:11] <@toya> toya from brasil
01[14:11] <Jay2> Jay from Philadelphia in the U.S.
[14:11] <@elisa> elisa from brazil
[14:13] <@toya> semvergonha: ?
[14:13] <@toya> bradley: ?
[14:13] <@toya> Alster: ?
[14:13] <bradley> bradley from santa cruz / indybay (sf bay area)
[14:15] <Alster> Hi, I'm Alster from IMC Germany
+ some tech collectives + working groups, living in Germany
[14:15] <@elisa> mara :)
[14:15] <@toya> mara and guest-en we are making presentations
01[14:15] <Jay2> introductions, as some would say
03[14:15] * guest-en is now known as Keltoum
[14:16] <mara> hi everyone, I'm mara from Imc London
[14:16] <Keltoum> Hi Im Keltoum from Belgium Indymedia
[14:16] <mara> not sure what else to say?
[14:16] <@toya> mara: that is enought ;)
[14:16] <Keltoum> I organise the media activist network in Be
[14:18] <bradley> alright. pues..
01[14:19] <Jay2> Is that everyone? Maybe we
should get a little order of topics.
[14:19] <bradley> yes, a list a topics.
[14:21] <@toya> i think that email from jay
[14:21] <@toya> has a good list of topics
[14:21] <@toya> 1)site/location
[14:21] <@toya> 2)the agenda
[14:21] <@toya> 3)spreading the word
[14:21] <@toya> 4)fundraising
[14:21] <bradley> OK.
01[14:22] <Jay2> Sounds good to me. Before we
start that (not to complicate things) does anyone
want to talk first about the issues in gdm's
e-mail...should we even have a gathering at
all? If we all think we should, we can start in with #1.
03[14:22] * mat (~mat at localhost) has joined #meeting
06[14:22] * @toya raise her hand
01[14:22] <Jay2> Just to make sure all opinions
have a chance to get out before we start talking in practicalities.
01[14:22] <Jay2> whoops, sorry toya.
[14:24] <@toya> my personal opinio is that if we
cant do this, i dont see another opportunity or
way to revive the indymedia global network, and
personally i would suggest that the network stop
exist - because if there is no will to try then
is not worthed to keep it this way
[14:24] <@toya> end
01[14:26] <Jay2> I'm kind of of the same
opinion. I don't see any good reason for our not
to organizing a gathering. I do see gdm's points
about how to present it, and also to prioritize
actually getting videoconferencing to work rather
than just pretending. plus, i'd love to see coinciding regional gatherings.
[14:27] <steev> hola
01[14:28] <Jay2> (any introductions from people
who joined the last few minutes? steev, aqua,
mat. just name and where you're from...?)
[14:28] <semvergonha> hi sorry i am foz from brasil
06[14:28] * mat says hello. Im Mat from Indymedia Argentina
[14:28] <steev> i'm steev, from Arizona IMC. sorry late.
03[14:29] * elisa changes topic to 'IMC
Communication meeting to discuss the 10 year
Global Meeting / If you just join the channel, please make a sort presentation'
03[14:29] * elisa sets mode: +o Jay2
06[14:30] * @elisa raises
[14:30] <barbarossa> hi, i'm barbarossa from imc-germany
[14:30] <bradley> how about: "IMC Communication
meeting to discuss A 10 year Global Meeting" -- not "the"
[14:30] <@elisa> I agree with Jay2 and toy about gdm points
03[14:30] * toya sets mode: +o bradley
03[14:30] * bradley changes topic to 'IMC
Communication meeting to discuss "a" 10 year
Global Meeting / If you just join the channel, please make a sort presentation'
03[14:30] * elisa changes topic to 'IMC
Communication meeting to discuss "a" 10 year
Global Meeting / If you just join the channel, please make a sort presentation'
[14:31] <steev> has this been going on long?
03[14:31] * elisa changes topic to 'IMC
Communication meeting to discuss 10 years Global
Meeting / If you just join the channel, please make a sort presentation'
[14:31] <@bradley> @steev: No.
[14:32] <steev> ok good
[14:32] <@bradley> Agenda of this meeting:
[14:32] <@bradley> 1)site/location
[14:32] <@bradley> 2)the agenda
[14:32] <@bradley> 3)spreading the word
[14:32] <@bradley> 4)fundraising
[14:32] <@bradley> Can we move on to #1 now?
[14:33] <@elisa> yep
[14:34] <jimdog> sorry I'm late. I'm here from Leeds/Bradford IMC (UK)
[14:34] <@toya> well, this means people want to
try organize it? then i am ok on moving to #1
[14:35] <@elisa> thanks Alster
01[14:35] <@Jay2> Sounds reasonable.
06[14:35] * Alster stops spamming now ;-)
[14:35] <Groovalos> is it only for ppl who work for indymedia?
[14:35] <Groovalos> or for users too?
[14:36] <jimdog> the users are indymedia :-)
01[14:36] <@Jay2> My instinct would be that it
would be a gathering for people who are actively
organizing with indymedia and also plan to be in the near future.
[14:36] <@elisa> I agree with Jay2
06[14:36] * @toya agrees with jay but i am ok if
a user wants to stay in this meeting
[14:37] <steev> what is a "user"? :-)
[14:37] <jimdog> i feel we should be encouraging
more users to be actively involved so will sit back quietly
[14:37] <@bradley> user = contributor.
[14:37] <Groovalos> i'm not really good at english
[14:37] <Keltoum> I agree with jimdog ...users are indymedia
[14:37] <@toya> Groovalos: where you from?
[14:38] <Groovalos> greece
01[14:38] <@Jay2> I would hope a user who comes
to this kind of gathering would come out wanting
to participate in making things better from that point forward. ::)
01[14:39] <@Jay2> though I think this should be
very a forward-looking gathering and not
something that only raises problems from the past.
[14:39] <@toya> Jay2: indeed
[14:39] <jimdog> agreed
01[14:40] <@Jay2> Refocusing on #1 -- the site?
[14:40] <@toya> yes
[14:40] <@toya> so, there are many ppl from
outside of latin america here, is there any will
to organize a local gathering in your regions?
[14:41] <enko> hi folks, I'm enko from germany
and I'm into the drupal buzz and trying to help
people out in the corresponding channels, I also
met some ppl at the 25c3 and got this way a bit involved
[14:41] <jimdog> Our local meeting came to the
concensus that south america would be the best location
[14:41] <@bradley> (for new people in this chat):
Agenda of this meeting: 1)site/location, 2)the
agenda, 3)spreading the word, 4)fundraising
[14:42] <jimdog> though I doubt many of us would
atted physically, we were hoping for a way of contributing via irc/webcam link
[14:42] <jimdog> attend
01[14:43] <@Jay2> Three imcs have talked about
hosting -- bolivia, ecuador and brasil. any more information from any of them?
[14:43] <barbarossa> we are planing a local
meeting in germany but more focused on our own
imc but arent shure yet when and where it will take place
[14:43] <@elisa> I can talk about brazil
[14:44] <@elisa> just one thing someone is keeping the log
[14:44] <@elisa> ?
[14:44] <@toya> <-isnt
[14:44] <@elisa> nem eu
[14:44] <@elisa> can someone do this?
[14:44] <@elisa> nice domain occam
[14:45] <@elisa> so occam will save the log
[14:45] <@elisa> ;)
[14:45] <jimdog> could there be a full compliment
of satellite meetings in corresponding countries,
feeding into a global meeting at the main site?
or would this take something aay from the main event
[14:45] <occam> that also :)
[14:46] <@elisa> about the #1 location
[14:46] <@elisa> We had a meeting this weekend in São Paulo collective
[14:46] <@elisa> and we can host the meeting here
[14:46] <@elisa> we are looking for the best place
[14:47] <@elisa> and we have at least 8 ppl to be in the organization
[14:47] <steev> it would be interesting to survey
the network and find out just what kind of
representation there would be for A) any meeting
and B) meeting in certain places
[14:47] <@elisa> end
[14:48] <jimdog> There are quite a few people in
the UK who can no longer travel abroad as to
reapply for a passport here means giving biometric data to the government.
[14:48] <jimdog> which there is a lot of opposition to
01[14:49] <@Jay2> jimdog: I get the sense most of
us would wholeheartedly support the idea of lots
of regioinal gatherings linked together. The
whole idea for this meeting came from word that
the LA-IMC is having a 10 year meeting...Steev:
We could add these kinds of questions to the survey and see what people say.
[14:50] <jimdog> Jay2: thankyou, i can take that back to my local collective
06[14:51] * @bradley raise
[14:51] <@bradley> São Paulo sounds good to me,
but do we have more info about Ecuador and Bolivia?
[14:51] <@toya> i agree with Jay2 and i think
right now we cant really talk about 2) agenda or
4) fundraising - i believe we should talk more
about #1 and #3 because that will define what the
agenda will be and what fundraising we will have to do
[14:51] <Keltoum> Can't we organise the get 2
gether on a big activist event like Seatle b4?
for ex G8, climate action Posnan,or ...?
[14:51] <@toya> sorry bradley
[14:52] <@toya> tamaiyaku: !
[14:52] <@toya> tamaiyaku is from ecuador!
[14:52] <@bradley> :-)
[14:52] <Keltoum> I agree aswell with the
regional idea ...i think that will attract more participants
[14:52] <tamaiyaku> hi how are you, i m late because i could not connect
[14:53] <aqua> Jay2, you asked for an
intoduction: i'm from linksunten.indy (gemany),
and i think it's a great idea what are you're
talking about, but i'm too busy (we have
NATO-summit here) to follow the discussion today, so ciao...
06[14:53] * mara techical point: shouldn't date be on the agenda as well?
[14:53] <jimdog> Keltoum: would that divert resources from such an event?
06[14:53] * @elisa raises to answer mara
[14:54] <@elisa> mara: we are discussing about
this a month and we find that the best date would be the last week of the year
[14:54] <Keltoum> dunno depens on how you see the gathering...
[14:54] <@elisa> coz of the holidays
01[14:55] <@Jay2> Keltoum: i personally like the
idea of getting together specifically to talk
about indymedia. At any other event there's so
much going on and there are so many
distractions. If we're going to gather once
every 10 years, we should focus. :))
[14:55] <@elisa> but if we guys wants to set
another date we can put this in the agenda
[14:55] <@elisa> end
[14:55] <@elisa> can we have a facilitation process for this meeting here
[14:55] <@elisa> hehehe
[14:55] <@elisa> I can do this
01[14:55] <@Jay2> You're it!
01[14:55] <@Jay2> :
01[14:55] <@Jay2> :)
[14:55] <Keltoum> Illr8
[14:55] <anarcat> hehe hi everybody :)
[14:56] <@elisa> the person just have to /me raises and end
06[14:56] * @toya raises
[14:56] <@elisa> go on
[14:57] <@toya> i think everyone here is open to
have as many regional gatherings as possible and
the way to find out who could organize it, i
believe could be throught the survey
06[14:58] * jimdog raise
[14:58] <@toya> one regional proposal is latin
america and there are 3 groups offering to
organize it so i think at this meeting we should
talk about this particular regional gathering
[14:58] <@toya> even though that might be more
but here right now those are the one offerig to
organize and it would help the group who will do
that to know asap if they will do it or not
[14:59] <@toya> another thing as i suggested
above, which is the most important for this stage of the organization
[14:59] <@toya> would be to build the survey and
make sure that as many imcs as possible replies it
[15:00] <@toya> if we can do this or part of it today i would be really happy
[15:00] <@toya> end
[15:00] <@elisa> jimdog
[15:01] <jimdog> sorry I'm on a slow connection
so plaease bear with me. If there is to be a
regional feed to the main event, this is relevant
to location as such a place will need an adequate
internet connection to handle that? end
03[15:01] * elisa changes topic to 'IMC
Communication meeting to discuss 10 years Global
Meeting / If you just join the channel, please make a short presentation'
[15:02] <@toya> jimdog: yes
[15:02] <@elisa> we already think about this
06[15:03] * @bradley raise
[15:03] <@elisa> go on
[15:04] <@bradley> is there an update about possible meeting in Ecuador? Quito?
[15:04] <tamaiyaku> i am a little be lost. i don
not haw to raise my hand and i need also
information about what were you being talking about
[15:04] <@bradley> tamaiyaku?
[15:04] <tamaiyaku> yes we can do the meeting in
quito we can find a place with a good internet connecting
[15:05] <barbarossa> sorry - have to leave yet
but i think gathering in real live is a very good idea
[15:05] <@elisa> thanks barbarossa
[15:05] <@elisa> tamaiyaku to raise your hand just type /me raises
06[15:06] * @elisa raises
[15:06] <tamaiyaku> ok thank you elisa
[15:06] <@elisa> ;)
[15:07] <@elisa> I want to know somethings before
to support the idea of have the face to face meeting in quito
06[15:07] * tamaiyaku raises
[15:07] <@elisa> how are the political conditions in equador
[15:07] <@elisa> we followed the case of that colombian guy that was arrested
[15:08] <@elisa> I want to know if we can have
problems with the travel of a lot of activists to equador end
[15:08] <billy> el compa colombiano sige preso y sin posibilidades de salir
[15:09] <tamaiyaku> i think there are a lot of
possibilities to activist to come
[15:10] <tamaiyaku> iour gouvermente is not too
bad, it do not have good politics in some ways
but is better than the previos gouvernements
06[15:11] * @Jay2 raises hand
[15:11] <tamaiyaku> and the problem of aour
friend is due to aolitic persecution from
colombia, and we are having good results in the case
[15:11] <veri> hi
[15:11] <veri> hola
[15:11] <veri> oi
03[15:11] * veri is now known as everi
[15:11] <everi> ayaya!!!
[15:12] <@elisa> go on Jay2
01[15:13] <@Jay2> My question is to
tamaiyaku. Is the group in Quito organized and
active enough to be able to host a big thing like
this? It would be over 100 people, probably,
with a lot of complicated details.
01[15:13] <@Jay2> (the same question would be for sao paolo and bolivia)
06[15:16] * @toya raises
[15:16] <tamaiyaku> well we are not a lot but we
are very organize and we have handdle other big
events. but i need we mudt have a meeting to know
what is all we have to do and evaluete our real capacity to do it
06[15:18] * jimdog raises
[15:18] <paique> hi, i'm paíque from indymedia
brasil/brasilia. ||| hola, yo soy paique de
indymedia brasil/brasilia ||| olá, eu sou o paíque, do cmi-brasil/brasilia :P
[15:19] <@toya> about bolivia, i can say what
people from sucre told me, first they need to
know if there is support from the other
collectives from bolivia network in doing it -
they send an email to them asking about it but i
dont know if there were any answer yet - this is
the update i can give from the contact i had with people from sucre indymedia
[15:19] <@toya> end
15:20] <tamaiyaku> i think is important to know
alsa how much time do we have to organize the
meeting because this is also an important fact
06[15:21] * @elisa raises
[15:21] <@elisa> to answer the Jay2 question
[15:21] <@elisa> yep Jay2
[15:21] <@elisa> we know how is to host a global
meeting, we already have one at the Social Forum
[15:21] <@elisa> end
[15:21] <@elisa> go toya
[15:21] <@elisa> toya ?
[15:21] <@elisa> jimdog
06[15:21] * steev raises
[15:21] <veri> I'm everi from brazil, brasilia colective
[15:22] <@elisa> jimdog is your turn
03[15:22] * veri is now known as everi
[15:22] <jimdog> would it be a good idea to put a
survey aroud the global network to get an idea of
how many peoplemight be attending and from where
before setting firm plans for a location?
[15:22] <jimdog> end
[15:22] <@elisa> steev
[15:23] <steev> I agree strongly with what jimdog
just said but i also wanted to say:
[15:23] <steev> perhaps a way to go about
location selection is to come up with a "specification" for the meeting
[15:23] <steev> for instance: must be able to
host X number of people for Y days
[15:23] <steev> must have internet, kitchen, etc etc
06[15:24] * @elisa raises
[15:24] <steev> then, invite different
collectives to submit proposals for how they would provide what is needed
[15:24] <steev> done.
[15:24] <@elisa> ok
[15:24] <@elisa> I have done an account of 8 days
06[15:24] * @Jay2 twinkles virtual fingers in support of steev's idea.
06[15:25] * everi raises
06[15:25] * tamaiyaku raises
[15:25] <@elisa> starting at 26th december until 2 january
[15:25] <@elisa> and a list with the things that
we need like internet x toillet for at least 100 ppl
[15:25] <@elisa> place to sleep
06[15:26] * @toya raises
[15:26] <@elisa> and kitchen, but to save time
would be better to pay some food no bombs collective to do the food
[15:26] <@elisa> end
[15:26] <@elisa> everi
[15:27] <everi> I agree with proposal of steev,
but I think that internet isnt' must necessery in local of event
[15:28] <everi> the internet can be in (perto do local do evento)
[15:28] <everi> não sei como dizer isso em ingles
[15:28] <everi> =/
[15:28] <@elisa> close of the event place
[15:28] <everi> yes
[15:28] <@elisa> terminou?
[15:28] <everi> yes
[15:28] <@elisa> ok
[15:28] <everi> end
06[15:28] * jimdog raises
[15:28] <@elisa> tamaiyaku
[15:29] <tamaiyaku> i just want to agree with
steev, and i think i have think more clear now.
[15:29] <tamaiyaku> end
[15:29] <@elisa> toya
[15:30] <@toya> i would like to summary somethings
[15:30] <@toya> so we should maybe do a survey
about the gathering first like we are saying
[15:30] <@toya> make a list of the needed stuff and the possible dates
[15:31] <@toya> and send this more simple survey out
[15:31] <@toya> collect answers in a timeline of a month
[15:31] <@toya> and after that analyse the
answers and try to make some decisions about locations etc
06[15:32] * tamaiyaku agree with toya
[15:32] <@toya> while people are answering this
more simple survey we could elaborate the more
complex one with questions about the network
06[15:32] * jimdog also agree
[15:32] <@toya> and that stuff we talked on imc
communication list throught that list
[15:32] <@toya> end
[15:32] <@elisa> jimdog
[15:32] <Keltoum> Hey folks I gotta catch my
train. If loc and date is fix we'll try to send
someone and spread the wrd in our network hasta luego
[15:32] <jimdog> 2 poiints
03[15:32] * veri is now known as everi
06[15:33] * @Jay2 raises hand to respond to toya when jimdog is done
[15:33] <jimdog> 1 in response to everi - could a
sattelite be borrowed from a collective, the
other is that would it be a good idea to set up a
dedicated list for discussion of this meeting
[15:34] <jimdog> end
[15:34] <@elisa> Jay2
06[15:35] * @elisa raises
01[15:36] <@Jay2> I like the idea of putting
these kind of questions to the network before we
go forward. I'd be concerned about sending out
two different surveys though -- getting people to
respond to one owuld be a lot of work. Since the
deeper agenda questions will be the same no
matter where the meeting/s is/are held, I'd
rather see us send them out at once.
01[15:36] <@Jay2> oh, as a sidelight, who would
like to volunteer to write a list of requirements for a meeting site?
01[15:36] <@Jay2> end
[15:37] <@elisa> I think that more one month to
define the place will be complicated, coz we are
thinking about to do the meeting in a week of
parties, and everybig place will be hosting
something, so if we will need to rent a place for
this date we need to do this as far as we can
[15:38] <@elisa> in são paulo we are thinking
about some autonomus place to host the meeting
[15:38] <@elisa> but if will came more than 100 we will have to rent a place
06[15:38] * steev raises hand
[15:38] <@elisa> end
[15:38] <@elisa> steev
[15:40] <steev> i just want to ask/comment, the
meeting is not intended as a decision-making body, right?
[15:40] <steev> if so, i think this should be
very clear in the survey that goes out.
[15:40] <steev> my prediction is that very few
people will be able to physically attend the
meeting, and everyone will want to know that it's
not something where teh fate of indymedia will be
[15:41] <steev> definitively decided, but rather
[15:41] <steev> a communication opportunity
[15:41] <steev> fin.
06[15:41] * @toya raises
[15:41] <@elisa> toya
[15:41] <@toya> answering steev
06[15:41] * everi rises
[15:41] <@toya> i agree that is not a decision
making meeting and that should be clear
[15:42] <@toya> it wont decide the fate of
indymedia but we should highlight that the fate
of indymedia really depend on inititives like this one
[15:42] <@toya> so we keep the ball rolling and
are able to re-organize ourselves better
[15:42] <@toya> about jay point - i agree that
would be better i just dont want one thing to stop the other
[15:43] <@toya> create the full survey at once
could take a long time - depends on ppl efforts
for sure so that dont take too long
[15:43] <@toya> and time is very important for
those who will organize the gathering locally as it was pointed out before
[15:43] <@toya> so if there is a commitment to do
teh full survey all at once and people will work
on it so it doesnt take months and month for that to go out
[15:44] <@toya> then i am ok with it
[15:44] <@toya> end
[15:44] <@elisa> veri
[15:44] <veri> I think that the criterion of
having internet should not be eliminatory, I
think this reunion should be more discussion of
principles, global strategies of union and
communication, and self analysis of 10 years of
the Indymedia project. I think a local network
can be useful, we have built the machines in
local, networked, to shop, share etc ...
[15:44] <veri> end
03[15:44] * veri is now known as everi
06[15:44] * @elisa raises
[15:45] <@elisa> everi the internet was pointed
as a important point coz a lot of ppl don't be
able to be in the face to face meeting
[15:45] <@elisa> so we will need to do some conferences
[15:45] <@elisa> and about the analysis of 10 years of the Indymedia
[15:46] <@elisa> I think that Jay2 already said something about this
06[15:46] * Alster raises
[15:46] <@elisa> I agree with him that we need to focus in the future
[15:46] <@elisa> and don't rase the old imc problems
[15:46] <@elisa> end
[15:46] <@elisa> Alster
[15:47] <Alster> I'd just like to note that we
should not consider to have the meeting take
place in one of the "1st world fortresses" such
as euorpean union or usa or australia. and so i
very much welcome the initiatives to host this in
south america (but elsewhere would be fine with me, too)
[15:47] <Alster> end
06[15:47] * tamaiyaku raises
[15:47] <@elisa> go on tamaiyaku
[15:48] <tamaiyaku> I think is important to
evaluate the 10 years of indymedia in order to
create new inicitaives for the future of the red
[15:49] <tamaiyaku> i want also to answer if each
group is going to autogestionate the
transportation of people from each country to the
meeting or if we are goint to do something
together in order to have funds for the meeting
and the transportation of people?
[15:49] <tamaiyaku> end
06[15:50] * @elisa raises
[15:50] <@elisa> we alrady finished with the #1?
[15:50] <@elisa> 1) The site:
[15:50] <@elisa> can we try to focus on the topics that we have
[15:51] <@elisa> like who can install a site to
help in the meeting organization?
[15:51] <@elisa> so we can separe a group of ppl to work on the site
[15:51] <@elisa> what you think?
[15:51] <@elisa> end
06[15:52] * everi rise
[15:52] <@elisa> go on
[15:52] <everi> I think that assess the past
is very important because it is from this that we
know what should continue and what should be changed
[15:52] <everi> tou usando o tradutor da internet, talvez fique meio sem lógica
[15:52] <everi> end
03[15:53] * veri is now known as everi
06[15:54] * @Jay2 raises hand
[15:54] <everi> hay alguien de bolivia acá?
[15:54] <@toya> everi: nao :/
[15:54] <everi> =(
06[15:54] * jimdog could anyone possibly translate - sorry *
[15:55] <@elisa> he asked if there is someone from bolivia here
06[15:55] * jimdog says thankyou
[15:55] <@elisa> ;)
[15:56] <@elisa> so?
[15:57] <@toya> jimdog: ?
[15:57] <@toya> ops
[15:57] <@toya> Jay2: ?
[15:57] <@toya> he wants to talk
[15:57] <@elisa> eh
[15:57] <jimdog> sorry, was thanking for the translation
01[15:58] <@Jay2> Yup, thanks, just to say that
we have a proposal to put a list of requriements
for a site host into the survey, which we should get out really soon...
01[15:58] <@Jay2> and a sort-of counter argument
that if we give too long for the site location
decision we'll have a harder time organizing it...
01[16:00] <@Jay2> So maybe rather than adding
those questions to the survey itself, which is
going to gather responses over several weeks, we
could send those questions in the e-mail we send
to all collectives telling them about the survey,
and post them on global lists, wich a shorter
response deadline...maybe two weeks? that would be a middle ground.
06[16:00] * @toya raises
01[16:01] <@Jay2> end
[16:01] <@elisa> toya
[16:02] <@toya> I agree with jay, so what about
we start moving on with deviding tasks? I believe they are:
[16:02] <@toya> 1. write this email and get it
translated to as many languages as possible
[16:03] <@toya> 2. make sure it arrives on the
mail boxes of all the contact lists for the collectives
[16:03] <@toya> 3. organize the survey
[16:03] <@toya> end
06[16:04] * tamaiyaku raises
[16:04] <@elisa> go tamaiyaku
[16:05] <tamaiyaku> agree with toya and i can
traslate to spanish everythink the survey and the mail
[16:05] <tamaiyaku> end
06[16:05] * @elisa raises
[16:05] <@elisa> I can help Jay2 to write the email if he assume this task :P
[16:05] <@elisa> end
06[16:06] * @toya raises
[16:06] <@elisa> toya
03[16:06] * veri is now known as everi
[16:07] <@toya> maybe me and Alster - since we
are from listwork - could do the part of making
sure the emails pass moderations where the list
moderator is a ghost (not active)
[16:07] <@toya> end
06[16:08] * @Jay2 raises hand
[16:08] <@elisa> Jay2
01[16:09] <@Jay2> I'd be happy to help get the
survey questions together. I already posted some
01[16:09] <@Jay2> Toya also suggested we add more
specific questions about how people use imc
global communications resources etc. That sounds good to me....so
06[16:10] * ttx is from imc liege (be). hello
01[16:11] <@Jay2> I have to go in a few
moinutes. What do people think would be the best
way to finalize the questions? Can we do that on
imc-communication over the next few days? Also,
toya said putting the survey on an imc server
would be easy. surveymonkey.com limits free
surveys to 10 questions. so, i'd need help with
posting the questions on an imc server..
01[16:11] <@Jay2> and with translations too. :))
01[16:11] <@Jay2> end
06[16:11] * mat have to go home, but i was
following the meeting and pass the details to the Indymedia Argentina Network
[16:11] <anarcat> i can probably find someone to translate to fr
06[16:12] * @toya raises
06[16:12] * @elisa can translate to portuguese
[16:12] <@elisa> toya
[16:12] <@toya> i can also help with ellaborating the questions to the survey
[16:12] <@toya> and i agree that should be done on communication list
[16:13] <tamaiyaku> i can find someone to traslate to germany too
[16:13] <@toya> and yah, if we pass the limit of
10 questions i think we can host our own survey
03[16:13] * jolly (~jolly at earth) has joined #meeting
[16:13] <@toya> and i can offer to call ppl on
imc-tech to help making the code for that!
[16:13] <@toya> just one more thing
[16:14] <@toya> me and alter are talking and we
will try to make a list of the emails lists that
are active or the main list the collectives are usiing
[16:14] <jolly> hello
[16:14] <@toya> so we know where to send it to
and we will figure out the best - fast - way to
make sure the emails pass moderations
06[16:14] * @elisa raises
[16:14] <@toya> end
[16:15] <@elisa> toya you can see too each imc
sites still working with this lists?
[16:15] <@elisa> end
[16:15] <@toya> to answer it
[16:15] <@toya> to see what sites are working we
will have to open one by one and look at it
[16:15] <@toya> i dont think we can see that by the lists
[16:15] <@toya> end
06[16:15] * jimdog suggests imc-uk-network would probably be the best list here
[16:18] <@toya> alright
[16:18] <@toya> looks like we have a plan :)
[16:19] <@toya> <-needs to go back to work
[16:19] <@toya> how we close this?
06[16:19] * @Jay2 missed who is going to write
the e-mail with the site requirements.
[16:20] <@toya> elisa offered to help you if you want to do it
[16:20] <@toya> :)
01[16:21] <@Jay2> aha! I'll propose some survey
questions and tackle that, so maybe elisa you're
on your own for the list of site requirements...? :-))
[16:21] <@elisa> eu nao sei nem o que eh pra fazer
[16:21] <@elisa> toya salva ai
[16:21] <@toya> escrever o que seria necessario
para um grupo hospedar o encontro
[16:21] <@toya> local pra durmir, comida, internet etc
[16:22] <@elisa> ah isso eu faço de boa
[16:22] <@toya> massa
[16:22] <@elisa> I I will do the list
01[16:22] <@Jay2> Great. So, to summarize:
01[16:22] <@Jay2> -- elisa will write a list of requirements for a site
01[16:22] <@Jay2> -- jay will help coordinate the
survey questions on imc-communication
01[16:23] <@Jay2> -- toya will talk with listwork
about getting the e-mail out and with imc-tech about posting the survey
01[16:23] <@Jay2> -- various people have volunteered to translate.
01[16:23] <@Jay2> -- and we'll all do this over
the next few days so we can get moving on everything.
01[16:23] <@Jay2> Did I miss anything?
[16:24] <@toya> i dont think so
01[16:24] <@Jay2> one more thing...
01[16:25] <@Jay2> we never talked about possible
date changes, did we? or did we discuss putting
that in the e-mail as well and seeing what collectives would prefer?
[16:25] <@elisa> nah
[16:25] <@elisa> is impossible to set a date if you let everybody suggest one
[16:26] <@elisa> is better to have 2 dates possibles and lete they choose
[16:26] <@elisa> what I know that is a fake free choise but works better
[16:26] <@toya> so one was on new yeras
[16:26] <@toya> and the other?
[16:26] <@elisa> after the new year
[16:27] <@elisa> first from 26 to 2
01[16:27] <@Jay2> i think gdm suggested to
coincide directly with the 10 year anneversary,
which would be in early december, but I think
after the new year would be more realistic.
[16:27] <@elisa> the other could be from 4 to 10 january?
01[16:27] <@Jay2> Sorry all, i have to get
going. Thanks for the great meeting!
More information about the IMC-communication