[Imc-communication] Fwd: Cop17 coverage / IMC-Africa / VozMob Drupal Distro / mobile enabled IMC conversation
sphinx at indymedia.org
Wed Apr 6 13:53:11 PDT 2011
Cop17 coverage / IMC-Africa / VozMob Drupal Distro / mobile enabled IMC
(reallllly short :)
we had folks involved in lots of projects including:
IMC drupal dev
https://guardianproject.info (aka nathan at guardianproject.info)
2. various possible ways to collaborate on code/features?
A. Install and configure various mobile related modules on existing IMCs
(vozmob modules, voip drupal, etc - what about spip IMCs?)
B. Fork http://code.vozmob.net using git and use that as the basis for a
new mobile-focused IMC
C. What's up with a general Indymedia Drupal Distro?
I think its plagued by internatonal borders
there are a bunch of projects, not collaborating effectively. we should
get them all on git, and do a f2f meeting, and make it kick ass,
<sphinx> I will agree
<ross> schock: that's a pretty good idea.
<mark> - more important to get the features working well, so existing
drupal IMCs can add them
D. How about an Indymedia Drupal server
* just like koumbit gives drupal accounts with many modules one can
select, one can do the same for an IMC distro, put it on a server
where individual collectives can have an account (drupalgardens, for
E. IMC-Drupal communication and coordination
* need for better communication on imc-drupal list, irc, and organize
a f2f meeting to map out and sprint on it.
some resources for drupal IMCs
3. What would be needed to make it work in African context?
VozMobDD (see http://code.vozmob.net , http://dev.vozmob.net ) Key working
* sms registration
* voice posting
* sms posting
* mms posting
* post from phones to Groups
* add location info to nodes
* add tags via #tag in message body
* (what else?)
Key alpha features (work but not tested robustly):
* send sms to phones
* send mms to phones
* sent to all phones in a Group
* (what else?)
Key new features under dev: see http://dev.vozmob.net
We would need working sms (and mms) to web gateways. Currently just
available in South Africa.
Using a phone is an option - SMS can be forward to any web service, and
also remote web services can send to any SMS phone in return
* Android as Gateway
* https://github.com/niryariv/kalsms/wiki/ allows any SMS to be sent,
to this phone, then forwarded over wifi or mobile data to any web
* SMSSync is another SMS-to-internet gateway
* Desktop as gateway, with a modum that takes SIM (see mbuni project?)
* Voice gateways (so people can call in to a phone number and leave
audio content that posts to web)
* Voice. Better voice capabilities would be key to increasing the
usefulness of IMCs in Africa.
* setup a bunch of different dial-in numbers, all going to one voip
* DIDWW is a good source for cheap inbound numbers:
http://www.didww.com/Retail-Customers that route to any SIP server
4. Adding mobile capabilities for Durban IMC convergence around Cop17
November 25 to Dec 12
Questions to answer:
To what site(s) will people be posting coverage?
* a number of sites, maybe syndicated to one site for combined coverage?
What resources do we need to have mobile enabled IMC for cop17 coverage?
* gateway filters for phone companies, tested
* secure gateways?
* voip server?
* phones w/decent cameras and MMS packages for key IMC reporters?
* a secure call-in system with multiple inbound numbers?
1. adding filters for existing SA mobile providers, to post to imcs
(using vozmob modules)
2. setting up our own gateway on a phone (and integrate w/imcs )
3. setting up a voip server and multiple dial in numbers (and integrate to
imc sites using voip drupal module?
free secure sms/mms gateways in each country (for sms/mms to & from web)
free secure voip servers & gateway in each country (for calls to web,
5. next steps?
- who wants to coordinate f2f IMC drupal meeting?
- implement vozmob filters for sms & mms posting from South African mobile
- move vozmob code to git.drupal.org (modules, features, themes, install
- post notes to imc-drupal-dev, imc-africa, new-imc, imc-process,
More information about the IMC-communication