[Imc-drupal-dev] review: media modules
jonhattan at faita.net
Thu Dec 6 05:42:13 PST 2007
Hi again ;)
the other day I propose to make a review of modules based on Topics. I
said to not mix audio-video-image in a general "media" topic, but I've
Below is a list of modules and some notes after a walk on «Modules:
Media | Drupal.org».
I have my own preferences on some areas, and no idea on how to better
acomplish on others. I've tried to list all relevant things we should
consider on each area.
I first post it here in the list and not the wiki, in order to better
discuss on them. Please if you already have a drupal indy, comment what
was your choice (and why: pros/cons).
* privacy -- must:
- Exif Removal Media Mover Module
* uploading Media as nodes:
- Image, Image Assist (integrates with TinyMCE)
- status: only -dev; last-update: 11 jun / 07.
- OpenPackage Video: Submitted videos are transcoded to FLV format so
they can be viewed directly in the web browser.
- Flash Node ¿?
* uploading Media as files:
- Asset Embedding (see embedding section) or uploading any content in
a user basis (personal directory under files/).
- Upload (any file) & Comment Upload (enable uploads for comments)&
- Flashvideo: a complete video solution that expands the upload module
to allow web developers and users to upload video files, automatically
convert those videos to the popular Flash format, and then embed their
video in any node type in the Drupal System using the simple [video] tag.
- ImageField, AudioField, MediaField (CCK)
- MediaField Display: quote """Various discussions are underway as to
the best ways to handle audio and video display in Drupal. This module
may be deprecated when a consensus emerges and new solutions are
- NOTES: Upload Image: create nodes from image file attachments
* embedding external content:
- Asset: uploading (see uploading section) or embedding (currently
youtube and dailymotion. Easy extensible)
-- Tinymce integration ala Image Assist
-- status: alpha, promising; last update: January'07
- Embed Filter: to directly put 3rd party embedding code (an asset)
into text areas of content
- Embedded Media Field: a CCK field to embed 3rd party media (audio,
-- Flickr, some other fotologs; Youtube and a dozen more.
- Video Filter
-- There are other Flickr related modules (to better interact drupal
with flickr) that I dont find of interest for indydrupal
-- There're other modules for handling youtube and/or google videos.
Three listed here work with both services and more.
* referencing internal content:
- Inline: is the only module that allows a user to place an image or a
file attachment anywhere in the content. During creation of a content, a
user can simply enter the number of the attachment he likes to display
inline. After submitting the content, the number is automatically
converted to the appropriate filename.
- Asset: as you upload a file (or embed from 3rd party), an asset is
generated; you can use it to place a file/embed anywhere in the content.
- NOTES: differences: with Inline, you post the media by other means
(Upload, Image, Video, Audio,..), and inline helps you reference it;
with Asset, you directly upload your media and get an asset to place
anywhere into content. You cant use Asset to reference
- Image Gallery: makes galleries based on Image nodes with taxonomy
- AcidFree Album: makes galleries based on Image and Video nodes with
- NOTES: there're a lot more image and gallery solutions, some based
- Photobar, Acid Free, Image import: importing several files from
server folder / client zip
- Teaser Image: Automatically converts images in teasers (home page
summaries) to thumbnails (small version of the original images).
- Transliterate filenames: This module transliterates and cleans the
names of new uploaded files by replacing non-ASCII characters with their
unaccented ASCII equivalents and removing invalid characters altogether.
Based on the PHP UTF-8 project, it has support for the full range of
Unicode characters (including, for example, cyrillic and far eastern
- Media Actions / Media Mover : for uploading to remote?
- look at IMCE and IMCE Pager
- Views Podcast
* web 7.0:
- Mobile Media Blog
More information about the Imc-drupal-dev