[Imc-kenya] [Imc-africa] Update from Kenya (PEOPLE POWER AND SOLUTIONS)

Hannah Jane Sassaman hannahjs at prometheusradio.org
Wed Jan 2 15:41:08 PST 2008

What's the best way for people to send funds to help buy airtime, andsupport
the displaced families you discuss, John?  Is there a Western Union number
or an online donation place we could go to or use?

With love,
Hannah Sassaman
Prometheus Radio Project

On Jan 2, 2008 3:06 AM, Bwakali David John <jonbwak at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Indymedia comrades,
> Five days ago, on the 27th of December, I stood in a queue for six hours -
> from 5.30 AM to 11.30 AM, waiting for my turn to cast a vote in my country
> Kenya's presidential, parliamentary and civic elections. When the votes were
> counted later that night, Raila Odinga, the opposition leader, began taking
> a near-unassailable lead. At one point, he led with almost one million
> votes. But somehow, Mwai Kibaki the incumbent president squeezed through a
> disputed victory. I can live with that. What I can't live with, is that in
> the last three days, more than 200 Kenyans have lost their lives because of
> this disputed election results.
>
> When the tension escalated, I had to move to my brother's house because I
> stay in a neighborhood dominated by the Kikuyu, the biggest tribe in Kenya
> and also one that President Mwai Kibaki comes from. Tragically, Kikuyus
> around the country are bearing the brunt of an angry people and they are
> also beginning to retaliate.
>
> After two days of a house arrest of sorts, it was extremely important that
> I leave the house. But when I tried to do so, I could not pass a human
> roadblock of more than fifty people who were sitting by the roadside in a
> tense and excited mood. But I had to proceed because I needed to call my
> friend in Eldoret town. She is from the Kikuyu community while most of her
> neighbors are from the Kalenjin community. Due to know fault of hers, the
> president happens to be from her community. Due to his own fault, the
> president has greatly angered the Kalenjin community together with thirty
> eight other communities. Even the supposedly official results show that he
> only led in two provinces out of eight. Consequently, members of all other
> communities generally feel that the president has robbed them.
> Unfortunately, they are taking it out on innocent members of the three
> communities that voted overwhelmingly for the president - Kikuyu, Embu and
> Meru. It is becoming a ping-pong game of violence as members of these three
> communities are also starting to hit out.
>
> I blame the people who commissioned and condoned the rigging of these
> elections. While I realize that most losers usually blame rigging for their
> losses, these particular rigging claims are not mere speculation. Samuel
> Kivuitu, the chairman of the Electoral Commission of Kenya has already
> admitted that he announced the presidential results under pressure from the
> President's Party of National Unity. He also conceded that there were
> widespread irregularities which resulted in extended delays in announcing
> results from some forty eight constituencies. Both local and international
> observers have explicitly reported that while the actual voting process was
> beyond fault, the tallying of the votes was riddled with faults. Raila
> Odinga has refused to accept these results. Millions of Kenyans have refused
> [...]

-----

hannah sassaman
prometheusradioproject

building radio stations = awesome