[imc-liverpool] meeting summary 22/11/05
Maria Ng (News From Nowhere Bookshop)
maria at newsfromnowhere.org.uk
Tue Nov 22 11:54:32 PST 2005
Double the turnout of the previous meeting! (Sorry, minutes below aren't strictly in order of discussion)
1. PROMOTING IMC LIVERPOOL - Generally agreed that Indymedia Liverpool website needs a good kickstart.
Once site is redesigned and looks better, have a bit of a relaunch push. Redesign is waiting on me (Maria) working out how to get at the site templates to change them (I'm sort of half-way there - will describe progress in a separate message)
Ian is going to have a go at designing a new banner for the site - incorporating the yellow submarine picture mentioned in last minutes. Everyone please suggest ideas for a slogan/tagline for the banner. Also, suggestions for other pictures that might go in the banner.
We could do flyers, maybe stickers too, and blitz everywhere with them, anytime we go to an event or meeting, give them out - they could say 'write about this event on indymedia'. (n.b. nobody actually took on the task of drafting a leaflet - would probably be a good idea to start on this soon)
2. REPORTING EVENTS - It was decided that we should report on events that are put into the calendar - we divided up the ones that are up there at present. Reports don't need to be big wordy things. Include pictures if at all possible. Adam & Ritchie will be at the Nerve launch night (not yet on the calendar), Ian is going to the London Climate Change demo anyway, plus will try and attend the Keep the NHS public meeting, Maria will go to the LFOP monthly vigil ( if it happens).
Ian will also write up the recent Liverpool Students Friends of Palestine benefit night.
(Secret reporting tip from Ian: draft your report BEFORE the event, then just tweak and add pictures ... shhh.)
3. HIDING ARTICLES - The newswire is quite often used for announcement of events rather than news reports - it was suggested that announcements for events that have been & gone should be hidden. Decided against doing this, because people may want to add comments on the event afterwards.
Ian has been unticking Liverpool from irrelevant newswire items to remove them from our newswire.
4. IMC UK PROMOTED NEWSWIRE - Very briefly talked about the IMC UK promoted newswire idea (see previous message). Generally positive about the idea for the UK site, though we wouldn't want it to apply regionally.
5. IMC LIVERPOOL MAILING LIST - everyone bar one who was receiving the group emails we were doing to stay in touch is now on this mailing list. From now on, when we hide or untick newswire articles, we should notify the list, and we should also propose centre-column feature articles to the list before publishing them
The way the main imc-uk-features list works is that people draft the text of a feature and post it to the list for people to look at, and then other people can make suggestions for changes/additions if they like. If no objections raised about the feature, then the proposer makes any revisions then goes ahead and publishes the feature
6. ADMIN LOG-INS - we're still all using the one log-in. Someone was supposed to get in touch with IMC UK and find out about getting individual log-ins, but none of us here tonight knew who did that nor if we'd heard back or if anyone's followed it up since. (I'll ask on the IMC webchat or in one of the mailing lists - maria)
7. NEXT MEETING - 2 weeks time Tues 6th Dec here at News From Nowhere again, 6pm (I'll try not to be cashing up again so that I am finished on time).
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0547-1, 22/11/2005
Tested on: 22/11/2005 19:54:32
avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2003 ALWIL Software.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the imc-liverpool