[Imc-mayday-collective] [New-imc] Mayday IMC

Chris chrisc at indymedia.org
Tue Apr 19 06:18:52 PDT 2011

Hi

On Tue 19-Apr-2011 at 01:59:44PM +0200, Bartolomeo wrote:

> from my point of view flagging all postings coming from
> a certain IP which is known to be a state-run exit node
> of some obscure network is an abuse of anti-abuse
> measures.

We have had our servers taken and our homes raided by the
police that use this gateway, it is in no way abusive of
our legitimate users to track the abuse of which originate
from the state, it is legitimate self defence and the
tracking of this abuse falls within what is allowed under
the new PoU 4:

  4. All IMCs, based upon the trust of their contributors
  and readers, shall utilize open web based publishing,
  allowing individuals, groups and organizations to
  express their views, anonymously if desired. To ensure
  privacy and anonymity, the logging of information about
  users shall be kept to the minimum. The logging of
  internet protocol (IP) information about users shall be
  kept to the minimum necessary to maintain control over
  the server (i.e. in the event of an attack). In the
  event that logging is necessary, details of the logging
  shall be made publicly accessible, including duration of
  logging, what information was stored, and actions taken
  as result of the logging. Collectives are encouraged to
  have a public policy on IP logging.

  https://docs.indymedia.org/Global/PrinciplesOfUnity

All the best

Chris