[imc-oxford-features] Re: Article on Oxford Indymedia web site

Eileen Cameron-Kirby eileen at cameron-kirby.freeserve.co.uk
Wed May 4 23:57:13 PDT 2005

This is a slightly difficult one. Are all emails to these lists publicly
archived like the main mailing list? In which case forwarding the info below
is not a breach of confidence. I would like to forward this to Sue, but will
wait till I get a reaction.
Sue has certainly thought a good deal before doing this, but whether it's
ultimately in her own best interests I'm unable to judge, as the case is
really complicated. I don't at all like the idea of pulling the article at
George Roe's say-so, even if up to now I've always found him very pleasant.
Would we be pulling it because we think Oxford Indymedia is about to be sued
by Unison? If this is the case, we would need to make a collective decision
whether to agree to withdrawing it, or else let them go ahead and take legal
action against us. If they're not talking of suing us, and Sue herself still
feels she's made the right decision, it could be regarded as pretty
insulting to her to pull the article 'for your own sake, my dear!'. I would
be willing to talk to her again about this.
I have to say that I don't think we should be in the business of
automatically protecting Unison or any other trades union, or its members,
from criticism.
Cheers
Eileen

P.S. I'll be away most of today, from 11.00am or so onwards