[imc-sa] LOGs for June 12 IRC Chat.
Molefi Mafereka Ndlovu
molefindlovu at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 07:16:47 PDT 2011
***motho [~motho at 146.230.wkp.iq] has joined #africa
[15:16] ***motho deedee amy peter systier ekes @ChanServ mark alster rabble
[15:16] ***Channel created on Mon Feb 28 09:51:56 2011
[15:17] <deedee>hi molefi
[15:17] <motho>Greetings IMC Africa, apologies for my delay in reaching the chat
[15:17] <motho>hey deedee!
[15:17] ***ross [~user at vayj-86-87-125-092.jax.bellsouth.net] has joined #africa
[15:18] <motho>Hi Ross!
[15:18] <ross>what's up motho ?
[15:18] <motho>im kool.good to see you too
[15:19] <motho>Proposed Agenda:
[15:19] <motho>1. Opening and Intros/ apologies ( 5-10min)
[15:19] <motho>2. Updates and matters arising (20 min)
[15:19] <motho>3. Funding stratergy and documentation (25 min)
[15:19] <motho>4. Date of next session (5min)
[15:19] <motho>5. Closure
[15:20] <motho>so our agenda is somting like this; shall we get onto the content
[15:21] <ross>sure let's do it.
[15:21] <deedee>sounds good
[15:21] <motho>We urgently need to update our funding proposals so we can send
[15:23] ***amy [~amy at 69.112.jqz.hwy] has quit [Quit: CGI:IRC]
[15:23] ***amy [~amy at sil-2808o16o.dyn.optonline.net] has joined #africa
[15:24] <motho>Hey Amy!
[15:25] <ross>motho: do we have funding proposal docs? I've not been paying
very close attention over the last week.
[15:25] <motho>shud we expect more participants?
[15:25] <deedee>i haven't had to time read the proposals, but would like to
help. also patrick b may have some ideas.
[15:26] <ross>he is the idea man afterall!
[15:26] <motho>Ross yeh; am tryin to pull it out just a sec.
[15:26] <deedee>where is sphinx?
[15:27] <amy>hi all, i tried to type a greeting before, did it go thru?
[15:27] <motho>heres' the link
[15:27] <ross>amy: no greeting came through
[15:28] <motho>Hey Amy. we can see you now. Sphinx has not signed on yet.
[15:29] <amy>hi, i can only be on for 20 minutes before church. i am working on
expense documentation now. could someone work with me...
[15:30] <amy>... to identify what tasks need to be done first in order to enable
the durban fundraising to go forward?
[15:30] <ross>amy: what do you need?
[15:30] <amy>sorry, a 2-part installment! :)
[15:31] <ross>I'm not sure I understand what we need to do from the Dakar budget
that will affect the Durban budget.
[15:33] <deedee>The proposal needs some documentation of the Dakar meeting--
photos, video, annecdotal stories to make it real to funders. the budget i know
is realistic, but will scare off the funders i am thinking of. maybe it would be
best to not put the total, but break into sections. perhaps by country.
[15:34] <amy>i think the budget needs updating based on the delegate numbers
that are being sent currently. i think doing this would reduce it by a good bit.
this is a task someone could take on.
[15:35] <motho>most Africa delegates have not exceed ten people per group shall
we limit delagation sizes to ten persons?
[15:35] <amy>motho, i had suggested less than this previously...
[15:36] <amy>... i can't remember now what i suggested but it might have been 4?
[15:37] <motho>Ok that is fine also. lets agree and do the rest of the
calculations. i volunteer to help what do i need to do?
[15:38] <motho>deedee we have quite a lot of material on the IMC Africa site we
could use some of this?
[15:38] <amy>motho, all: to compile revised travel numbers, i would suggest the
[15:39] <amy>(1) go thru the imc-africa list archives and find all the emails
where people reported delegate numbers and / or names. save the urls for these
emails so as to have this record. (sphinx has done this with care in the past.)
[15:40] <amy>(2) make a tally of these numbers by country, and then search for
plane fare estimates for each.
[15:40] <amy>is this helpful -- done.
[15:40] <motho>sounds doable- done.
[15:41] <amy>oh, one more thing, this would be in the last month only, since the
request for delegates was issued about a month ago, right? i just remember
seeing it in the last month. kola just sent this morning.
[15:41] <deedee>btw there is a good summary about indymedia africa by Sphinz at
http://youtu.be/O2lmyn6y2Is that should be brought to the attention of
potential funders. and YES Molefi there is terrific stuff on the site. All that
is MUCH more important than obsessing over the Dakar budget expenses. It's over.
and it was great. let's get Durban going!
[15:42] <amy>dee dee, i'm not sure who is obsessing, but please try to keep it
positive. i've been getting offlist requests from several folks to deal with
this so i've responded by making time. your comment makes me feel like i'm being
hit from both sides, critiqued for not doing it, critiqued for doing it. just
[15:44] <motho>i think deedee meant getting down to do the Durban portion
[15:44] <amy>i agree with that! lets focus forward.
[15:45] <ross>so do we want to create a more appealing funding request doc on
the wiki page, or do we want to do that elsewhere?
[15:45] <motho>Ok. i will do #1 and #2 on ammy's list- deadline?
[15:45] <motho>lets make it more appealing Ross/ all.
[15:46] <amy>i agree with deedee's suggestion to incorporate images etc.
[15:47] <motho>lets make a new final Call for delegates!
[15:47] <deedee>So what about doing a fundraising concert? would Dead Prez be
interested in doing something in Philly or Brooklyn? that was very helpful in
seattle-- we got Rage and annie defranco.
[15:48] <motho> deedee;Russel suggested this in his last mail.
[15:48] <deedee>i thought he was speaking of doing a concert in Durban which is
also a great idea.
[15:49] <motho>he mentioned a pre- Durban fundraiser. as well ...i think.
[15:50] <amy>its a great idea to follow up with russell on this. i think he's
best reached on FB
[15:51] <deedee>I haven't been participating on the wiki but I'll try to put
together some images and interviews re Dakar that might be useful and it would
be better to do it on the wiki
[15:51] <amy>that's awesome deedee, then this can be used for an appeal and
other funding requests, right?
[15:52] <motho>I will send a consolidated delegates list with travel fare
estimates early in the week.
[15:53] <amy>WOW! we're rolling. can i suggest two other tasks? and then i have
[15:53] <deedee>that would be really good. btw i was impressed with the amount
of women on the lists. make sure they don't get cut!
[15:53] <motho>Who is dealing with actual content of convergence meet in Durban-
programs and activities?
[15:54] <ross>motho: I don't think anyone specifically.
[15:54] <motho>definately more women. how do we get down to planning content and
duration of convergence?
[15:55] <motho>Less pleneries please!
[15:56] <ross>I'm happy to work on content planning.
[15:56] <motho>ross; you go boy! happy to chip in wher possible.
[15:57] <motho>Amy you had more inputs b4 leaving us?
[15:57] <amy>yes, here are my two suggestions: * someone should reach out to
UC-IMC about being our fiscal sponsor again, and perhaps try to negotiate a
lower fiscal sponsorship fee * someone should draft a letter to X-Y, because
they never gave funding to us, and that correspondence got left hanging.
[15:57] <amy>i could take on one of those; you can assign it to me and let me
[15:58] <amy>i will also send an update to list on reporting by early in the
[15:58] <amy>love you ALL --
[15:58] ***amy left #africa 
[15:59] <motho>Sounds like we are getting somewhere.
[15:59] <deedee>i know nicole (who is on west coast now and can't wake up this
early! would have some ideas and can work with emem maybe to think about
workshops. i am just now emailing her to be sure to read the archive of this
[15:59] <ross>yeah nicole had a number of suggestions a few meetings back.
[16:00] <motho>do you think the time shud be adjusted?
[16:00] <motho>at our next session?
[16:00] <ross>well...I'm never a good bet at 9am EST :(
[16:01] <motho>we aught to continue keeping in touch between IRC's.
[16:01] <ross>Agreed...I'm on this channel most of the time.
[16:01] <motho>Sunday is a very taxing day down here as well.
[16:01] <deedee>i think that connecting with the music community might be an
interesting thing to discuss-- perhaps setting up an imc africa fund for
successful bands to contribute to.
[16:02] <ross>that's a great idea deedee
[16:02] <motho>That was one thing we missed in dakar.
[16:02] <ross>yeah...we should enhance the cultural components of the
convergence I think.
[16:03] <ross>and by cultural I mean artistic.
[16:03] <motho>Agreed. We should try wrap up. I will send copies of the logs to
the list? do we do this again next week? same time?
[16:04] <ross>or we could adjust the time...
[16:04] <motho>Will send #1 and #2 tasks off lists by Tuesday.
[16:05] <deedee>I will contact Asif who did this magazine
http://www.akpress.org/2001/items/awolmagazine and would be a great resource--
to lead a workshop and to help us set up a fund.
[16:05] <motho>any time before 6PM here in SA because transport is a mission.
[16:06] <deedee>gotta go babysit my grandson... glad to be on board. take
[16:06] <ross>bye deedee
[16:06] <ross>motho: what time is it there now?
[16:07] <motho>bye deedee. ross it is 04:07 PM RSA.
[16:08] <ross>so do you need to end before 6pm?
[16:08] <motho>5.30PM is best.
[16:09] <ross>so maybe we try to begin @ 4:30pm RSA?
[16:09] <motho>Thats kool.
[16:09] <ross>this would give everyone west of me a semi-reasonable time to wake
[16:10] <motho>then so shall it be.
[16:10] <ross>let there be light, brother.
[16:10] ***deedee [~deedee at nsr-94-48-12-937.nyc.res.rr.com] has quit [Quit:
[16:10] <motho>Lets close here for now and keep in touch through the week?
[16:11] <ross>sounds good...
[16:11] <motho>Take care ma brada from anada moda. ONE LOVE.
[16:12] <ross>ONE LOVE...talk to you soon!
Molefi Mafereka Ndlovu
Centre for Civil Society
University of Kwazulu-Natal
Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Tel: (+27)031 260 1506/3577
Fax: 031 260 2502
alt e-mail:molefi at union.org.za/
ccs at ukzn.ac.za
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the imc-sa