!!!!! archive...Re: [IMC-Seattle] Notes from IMC meeting
rickh at riseup.net
rickh at riseup.net
Tue Aug 10 09:21:17 PDT 2004
I'm all for Jill going through this stuff. Myself, I was not a member in
the earliest days (I joined in August '01). Anyway, if Jill wants to sort
through the stuff, great!
And yes, I like the idea of the UW. I believe we had meant the same
program Jill had mentioned.
There were many questions left unanswered - it was only a 3 hour meeting.
Another question that needs discussion - what do we do with the door from
the WTO squat? Was that door ever really ours, or did it just end up in
our space. IMHO, that door is such a cool historical archive, we have a
karmic obligation to find it a good home where it can be displayed.
What do others think?
Anyway, those are my thoughts.
> Hello all,
> sorry I couldn't make the meeting. One thing in
> the notes was a real big red flag for me, and
> that was the suggestion or decision (couldn't
> tell) to send all old notes, posters, other
> archival materials to Musuem of HIstory and
> Industry. That stuff will rot in the basement
> there, I can assure you.
> Instead, anything in the IMC archive that is
> WTO-related should go directly to the WTO History
> Project, an archived, cared-for collection in the
> special collections part of the UW library. And
> the stuff in the IMC archive that does not relate
> to the WTO, maybe shouldn't be so quick to leave
> the IMC fold. I know, I wasn't at the meeting,
> and now I am criticizing the decisions made, and
> that's no good, but in this case, I think it is
> really important that the question of what to do
> with archival materials from the IMC's 5 year
> history be more thoroughly discussed....
> if others share my concern about the destiny of
> IMC archival materials, let's talk about possible
> options. And after August 19th (but not before) I
> am available to go through all that stuff and at
> least weed out all the stuff that could go to the
> WTO History project. (whether that be at the
> actual storage space, or somewhere else).
> my $.02
> At 10:18 PM -0700 8/9/04, rickh at riseup.net wrote:
>>Below are the notes from last nights meeting. Thanks to Deanna for
>>facilitating, and writing these notes.
>>We hope to see YOU at the next meeting.
>>Seattle Independent Media Center
>>Meeting Minutes 8/8/04
>>Present: Laury, Rick, Joseph, Kevin, and Heddi
>>Facilitator & Note Taker: DeAnna Martin
>>Space & Storage
>>NW Social Forum
>>Training New Volunteers
>>Issues for Next Meeting
>>Structure & Governance
>>Volunteer Database Working Group
>>Why are there so few of us?
>>Finances - Debt
>>· Rick shared a financial report ($1406 in savings and checking), what
>>hed learned from the Nonprofit Assistance Center about the pros/cons of
>>bankruptcy and budgeting to deal with debt, and some sample budgets that
>>take into account a debt payment plan. (Refer to handouts Rick emailed to
>>everyone prior to the meeting.)
>>· Bankruptcy was ruled out because of concerns about it being a
>>complicated and public process that might open the IMC up to more
>>than its worth.
>>· Because Cascadia Action Network has said they are willing to let the
>>copier debt slide, the IMC should get something in writing saying this
>>debt is forgiven.
>>· The group agreed that the best option is to let the rent debt slide if
>>the debtor isnt pursuing payment at this time.
>>· If it gets to the point when LIHI is wanting payment, the group should
>>respond by explaining that weve talked about filing bankruptcy and would
>>like to negotiate the debt down and/or schedule a payment plan payment
>>plan might include trade in services.
>>· It was suggested the group consider hiring an accountant to maintain
>>financial records and check writing for fixed expenses perhaps on a
>>quarterly basis to demonstrate stability and re-establish the IMC as a
>>credible organization working to improve how it handles money; IMC
>>volunteers would only handle making deposits.
>>1. Rick will email Cascadia Action Network and ask them to provide a
>>email or written response saying they are forgiving the copier debt.
>>2. Rick will email Laury the contact name for the rental agreement with
>>the Low-Income Housing Institute
>>3. Laury will research the partnership with whom the IMC signed its
>>lease to determine if its possible for them to forgive or grant the
>>~$5000 debt for rent past due
>>Storage & New Space Update & Key Decisions
>>· Update: Rick has talked with SCAN about free office space in their
>>basement; the International District Community Center where 3 PCs have
>>been donated; and Georgetown space for free meeting space; some other
>>storage options that cost money have also been researched.
>>· The group made a list of everything Rick could remember was in storage
>>and made decisions about what to do with it; the goal is to be out of the
>>mid-way storage unit by the end of August!
>>See list below, the name in parentheses refers to the person who will
>>store it until free storage space can be arranged:
>>- 5-6 boxes of multi-media related to IMC work, documents, and the door
>>- 2-3 cases of PAL video tapes (Kevin,
>>until European IMC takes or they go
>>to the dump)
>>- Box of meeting notes and flyers (Donate
>>to Museum of History & Industry)
>>- Bags of CAT5 cable (Kevin, until donated or sold)
>>- 1-2 boxes of books for tabling (Rick)
>>- Library of books (DeAnna @ her office, until Kevin can get them
>>auctioned on eBay or amazon.com)
>>- 2 working cameras, cassette recorders, cabling, microphones (Laury)
>>- Equipment rack (Laury, until space is arranged at SCAN?)
>>- Desk, folding chairs, office chairs
>>(Kevin for rummage sale, if not sold
>>then to dump!)
>>1. Kevin will investigate free storage options.
>>2. Rick and Laury will set up a meeting with Ann Suter at SCAN for the
>>week of August 16th to discuss the space opportunity there.
>>3. Rick will email European IMCs this week to see if any of them would
>>like the PAL videotapes; if he doesnt hear back within two weeks, they
>>are going to the dump.
>>4. Rick will talk with Justin at the Georgetown space to see if they
>>like the CAT5 cable and the editing bay in exchange for meeting space.
>>5. Kevin is asking his fiancé about doing a garage sale the last weekend
>>6. Rick and Kevin will arrange a time to go to the storage unit together
>>in the next two weeks to begin the process of disseminating items.
>>Fundraising NW Social Forum, Rummage Sale, Etc.
>>· Kevin is checking with his fiancé about hosting a rummage sale for the
>>IMC in conjunction with a yard sale she is already planning; furniture
>>from storage and any other items that havent found a home can be sold at
>>this sale; Laury will coordinate with IMC members who might have other
>>things to contribute.
>>· There was a general feeling that fundraising, including grants, is an
>>important topic to explore at the next meeting lots of energy for this!
>>Thoughts that were shared include:
>>- The IMC has the same name, but is not the
>>same organization lets tell
>>this story to funders
>>- We need to determine our new focus
>>- Being able to get grants is an important part of how the organization
>>chooses to structure itself
>>· Rick will sell books at Hempfest
>>· Laury will follow up with Sheri on:
>>- the NW Social Forum fundraising idea
>>- Sheris friend who is doing a lecture series with the possibility of
>>lecture proceeds benefiting the IMC
>>imc-seattle mailing list
>>imc-seattle at lists.indymedia.org
More information about the imc-seattle