[imc-st.louis] IMC-StL_Minutes-ReBoot #2, 3/26
sca at free-assembly.org
Fri Mar 30 23:31:50 PDT 2007
IMC-StL Re-Boot_Brainstorm ~ Session 2
Monday, March 26 '07 @ 8:30 Pm
IMC Office ~ 3026 Cherokee St. (at Minnesota), St. Louis
Scribes: Ben West, Scottie Addison
Present: Scottie Addison, Ben West , Peter Jones, Digger (later)
SCA: Minutes of Session 1 presented... apologies
for late eM notice on this meeting.
'TO DO' ITEMS ~ Following Up:
How many core volunteers, optimal crews --
-- Editorial = 6... suggest rotating crew,
4-month stints w/ breaks, bring in new people
-- Tech-Ops = 3... co-work on website workup & admin, IMC communications gear
-- Co-Ops = 4... basic coordinating roles,
variable for projects (to be resolved)
- Website: current "Dada" interface is clumsy, old, vulnerable to spam & hacks
- Ben is getting starting on new Drupal website: http://reboot.stlimc.org
Pilot site can also serve as medium for the
current working group (like a 'wiki' site)
- Peter can assist soon... plan for migration of
current site content; Ben suggests tha old
STLIMC site at stlimc.org be archived, deep links
will be preserved
- Preferred to focus all efforts on building new
site; don't bother too much with old stuff
- SCA: Broader scope of media content is a
challenge in design, topology of ideas...
anticipate varying access privileges for
different site functions - admin/user/subscriber
- Additional tech jobs: Basic communications &
studio facilities, e.g.: phone, fax, video, etc.?
- Ben sent out queries for new Crew, 4 confirmed:
Patrick Ritchey, Digger, Peter Jones, Ben West.
- Rotate the editorial crew... get solid
commitments for short term of service (4 mos. =
trimester), renewable & flexible so individuals
don't burn out, build a broader pool of editorial
- Ben would like to move forward with Digger's
suggested pilot project, i.e., editors turning
out weekly features.
- Scottie stresses it would be problematic to
burden editorial group, who will have a steady
demanding job to do... don't make it too big.
Set this up as a special IMC project at-large.
- Suggest penning 4 or 5 features to premiere with launch of the new site
- Issue: Would the newswire be improved if
validated eM registration were required, or would
this subvert the IndyMedia principle of open
publishing? The newswire can be low-profile, but
spams & flames still hurt the site. Registering
can preserve anonymity, encourage stories with
- SCA syllogism re: General operations --
coordinating projects, core administrative &
business tasks... need to define roles for
near-term program plans, crew 'critical mass' for
- Ben suggests re-doing the IMC proposal process
with indymedia.org, good faith w/ "Principles of
Unity", not about organizing or bylaws: Simple
working agreements í IMC Manual/Charter.
- Draw upon research & outreach... see below.
 Targeted Outreach:
- Make a list of 20-25 regional media & advocate
organizations, contacts & queries on public info
needs, reportage, opportunities for
cooperation... in turn this shapes IMC program
- Outreach strategy: count on gradual growth,
patient in building familiarity & understanding,
i.e. "hit them 3 times"... gear toward bigger
public meeting as big splash, ripple out to
- A few org'ns should be in on formative Re-Boot work, invite to next meeting?
 Research IMC Strategies:
- Homework to do: Research how other IMC's do
their operations, i.e.: Do they always work as
collectives, how have stronger groups adapted in
- Good comparison @ Urbana-Champaign IMC, with
own building & institutional ties to U. of
Illinois, etc (although definitely too elaborate
for us). Ck info:
- Other sources, per Ben:
occupationstl.net (St. Louis Occupation Project)
worcester.indymedia.org (Worcester, Mass IMC)
 Public Event:
- This comes out of the 'Re-Boot' sessions,
foreseen as a culmination of the plenary work...
present new IMC site & operating model, pull in
broader community involvement & cooperations.
- Anticipate a date in mid-May, afternoon
workshop w/ space for 60-80 participants...
details & timing to be discussed further, based
on outreach & ideas in-progress.
 Journalism Training:
- SCA called KDHX, checked on changes in classes
offered in '05, got contacts for followup...
assess this and other local programs for best
- There may be two separate types or tiers of
training for local Indyjournalists - basic press
techniques for reporting & writing, and more
intensive training for multimedia production.
- Ben: Start collecting tools, e.g. tape
recorders, cameras, etc. Poll volunteer
reporters & personal resources on-hand.
NEXT MEETING ~ Brainstorm, Session #3:
Thurs., 5 April '07 -- 7 PM
Location: Typo Cafe or CAMP, tbd
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Imc-stlouis