[Tech-Coord] docs.indy needs a new skin
intrigeri at squat.net
Mon Sep 27 15:39:57 PDT 2004
<fake_disclaimer> I do cross-post, sometimes. </fake_disclaimer>
GnuSkin, our current TWiki skin, was designed to work on TWiki
v.01-Dec-2001; it has been unmaintained for 3 years. Wow. Moreover,
the author told me he does not really plan to work on it again.
This fact implies:
- it does not support some TWiki's features, such as forms, that
have won the "most reclaimed feature for docs.indy" 2004 Award;
- it does not, and will never, follow the (slow) TWiki's walk to
- it gives me headaches each time I upgrade our TWiki software,
forcing me to write patches in order to have it kind of working
with the last TWiki upstream releases.
My conclusion is: we have to choose another skin.
My personal preference, supported by Alster & PseudoPunk, goes to
pros and cons:
- included in TWiki upstream releases
- supported & maintained by TWiki's developers
- default skin on twiki.org
- CSS based, almost fully W3C compatible
- does not support IE<5.5 & Netscape 4.x
- in the last TWiki release, each user can use the skin s/he wants
and bypass the global setting
I'm currently preparing a smooth transition to PatternSkin for the
whole docs.indymedia.org site, so that our users don't get lost. As a
beginning, I installed it on the Sandbox section in order to give it a
What's your feeling about all this?
intrigeri <intrigeri at squat.net>
gnupg key 0xCA80A0D2 @ keys.indymedia.org
[ Who wants a world in which the guarantee that we shall not ]
[ die of starvation entails the risk of dying of boredom ? ]
-------------- section suivante --------------
Une pièce jointe non texte a été nettoyée...
Nom: non disponible
Taille: 188 octets
Desc: non disponible
More information about the imc-tech-coord