[IMC-Tech] indymedia.org domain name issue summary

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Fri Aug 14 16:44:16 PDT 2009

From: mark burdett <mark at indymedia.org>
Subject: Re: [IMC-Tech] indymedia.org domain name issue summary
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 09:05:38 -0700

> On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 23:17:20 +0200, Alster wrote:
>> As a result of these annoyances, it is currently planned
>> * to no longer use the Dotster service but to use serious and reliable
>>   domain name registration providers
>> * to have increased monitoring and maintenance of the email account
>>   associated with the indymedia.org domain name registration
>>
>> > <@Zapata> if you ever need to register a domain ... please don't do it on dotster.com
>
> has there been any legal analysis recently of the best/worst domain
> registrars (both the company- and country-specific factors)?
>
> I am only aware of sortof "gut" evaluations like "gandi rulz" "godaddy
> sux" which I guess is better than nothing :)

GreenNet, where i work at the moment, offered to host indymedia.org without asking for a name,
(anonymously) provided it is payed in advance.  this is from the finance manager:

> I don't think it matters how they pay - cash, cheque, card. We charge
> £34.50 per year for a registered domain, or £13.80 if it's only
> "parked" and not visible online.

GreenNet (gn.apc.org) is an "ethical company" functioning as a "collective" with horizontal
decision making procedures and equal salaries (except the cleaner who gets more).  They are the
founders of APC, a global NGO network that i consider pretty cool and effective, and afaik they
have been one of the first organisations to provide email to other nonprofits in Africa and
India, so they have been around for a while. :)

maxigas