[Imc-uk-features] re: no m$ please

Graham Martin graham.p.martin at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Sep 17 09:27:46 PDT 2004

Perhaps I can make a suggestion here...

I don't know if this is already done much, but could someone just get a
few blank CD's, and stick Mozilla and OpenOffice for Windows on them,
and then "advertise" them on the WIKI pages as an alternative to large
downloads.  Would also be good to give them out at the ESF with a
"who-what-why" document on IndyMedia on them aswell.

I'm trying to get my university student union to do the same.  If you
want to be elaborate, have a full batch installer system with auto-load
program and selection of programs to load and automatic stuff like that.
  Otherwise its just stick the normal full install files and a core
read-me in the top folder.

I for one had to download several RC's and Finals of OpenOffice.org onto
my laptop over phone lines while at uni, and it was a pain.  At least I
was a computer science student with a political conscience.  I'm now a
Peace Studies student with technical skills and so its still no problem.
  But without both these factors I'd be hard pressed to want my computer
sat there, hooked up, all night.

Yours for Peace and Justice,
Graham Martin

--
Yours for justice and peace,
Graham Martin

The EUROPEAN SOCIAL FORUM is coming...
LONDON :: October 2004 (Thursday 14th- Sunday 17th)
The ESF is part of a global movement for radical social and political
change united in the belief that Another World is Possible. It is a
regional offshoot of the World Social Forum, whose first two events were
organised in Florence (2002) and Paris (2003), each bringing together
some 60,000 activists in seminars, workshops, conferences, cultural
events, actions and protests.
www.fse-esf.org and www.esf2004.net