[Imc-uk-features] [PROPOSAL] Corporate reposts - can we have a policy of hiding these?
chris at aktivix.org
Mon Jan 24 03:12:55 PST 2005
On Sat 22-Jan-2005 at 05:50:47PM +0000, Chris wrote:
> here are 4 reposts on a row from the corporate
> media all reposted by the same person:
> - Coward Sharon urges Russia not to sell missiles to Syria
> - Ukraine: the end of electoral crisis
> - 10 days from the elections, Iraq spins out of control
> - President Bush: Keep your freedom and democracy to
And the same person has now posted another 6 coprorate
reposts in a row...
- US seeks to isolate Chavez
- Thousands of Cubans protest against US blockade
- US alone in seeking ouster of IAEA chief: report
- Violence grows as election draws near in Thailand
- LUKASHENKO LASHES OUT BUSH'S INAUGURATION SPEECH
- The magnitude of the earthquake and Christ acting as
croupier/dealing the cards
And either side of these 6 there are 2 reposts from the
- "Duped" liberal commentator admits he was WRONG about
- "Why I'll refuse to fight this immoral war" (TA soldier
quits in protest)
And other reposts showing on the front page at the moment:
- Good News for Linux Users (Must Read)
- The 10 best Writers on the Net
- Mystery in Iraq as $300 Million is Taken Abroad
I find it actually *hard* to find original news from
activists on the UK newswire these days...
Ionnek asked on IRC about this post:
- Now, the reckoning- The Guardian story of the Diaz
The blurb on the Editorial Guidelines pages says
"Occasionally we choose to hide postings offending the
open posting guidelines... articles and/or comments may be
hidden for the following reasons..." -- if we adopt the
suggestion below we *don't* have to follow it to the
letter, there *are* cases where I think it's OK to leave
up reposts, Nessuno's repost is an example of this and
another example that springs to mind were the reposts of
the articles in The Register about the server seizure...
However I would still prefer original articles quoting
from and/or linking to the originals...
> PROPOSAL add the following to the editorial guidelines,
> at the end of the list of reasons why things are hidden:
> * Reposts : articles that are simply pasted
> from corporate news sites. Please write something
> original, by all means link to articles elsewhere and
> quote from them but don't just copy them.
How long do we have to wait before we can put it into
effect and start to make some space on the newswire for
some original reports I wonder...?
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World
More information about the IMC-UK-Features