[Imc-uk-features] hide/promote something FFS! :) WAS: Web discussion board suggestion

maqui maqui at syndicate.org.uk
Tue Jul 11 10:23:53 PDT 2006

Hiya

On Wednesday, July 5, 2006, at 04:53  pm, phunkee wrote:

> To those people with admin priviledges - please take some
> responsibility
> for the newswire and hide/promote something FFS!

FFS indeed!! :-)

This seems to be a chronic problem of indymedia, at least in imc-uk.
Why people with admin access still refuse to do their admin bit more or
less regularly, or even at all, still escapes me. It is beyond my
comprehension.

Why do people ask for and keep admin privileges then?! If most people
with admin access did only 10 to 15 minutes a day, or very two days, or
at least more or less regularly, the wire could be much more relevant
and interesting. In London there was a debate about this quite a long
time ago. One of the proposals was to have 'expiry dates' to the admin
privilege. I mean, if someone hadn't logged in for x amount of time to
do admin, then the log in would automatically be disabled. I don't know
if this is technically possible, and in fact, it was decided against
this because apart from being a bit negative move, it seemed that it
would not really bring any advantage. I guess is was a reaction to that
feeling of having people around just doing some lurking ... which it is
quite annoying actually.

I've also noticed that most people seem to have forgotten that comments
can also be promoted into additions. I quite often find that several
postings have not had the comments administered.

Anyway, to me it is basically down to that old thing .. to put one's
acts where one's mouth is (or at least to try to do so :-)

maqui