[Imc-uk-features] Titnore Woods: Reprieve for 210 trees?/Mass Mobilisation on 7th Oct

maqui maqui at syndicate.org.uk
Fri Sep 29 07:47:50 PDT 2006

Hello Mark.

On Wednesday, September 27, 2006, at 03:23  pm, Mark wrote:

> Despite asking you about it a number of weeks ago, the Indymedia
> Editorial
> team has decided to still not promote what is happening at the Titnore
> Woods site to the front page of the UK Indymedia. Considering IMC was
> originally borne out of RTS and the Anti-roads movement/ecological
> struggle, this is a poor show guys...

Thanks for your email. But I think there are a few issues that may need
a bit of clarification:

1,- We are NOT a news service. If you want a feature about anything in
the front page you should NOT wait for an IMC volunteer to do it for
you. Asking people to put a feature up for you won't take you very far
i'm afraid. Just put it together, add some links and background
information, then propose it to this list, and if there are no
objections it can go up after 24h. This is the process in imc-uk.

2.- There is no such a think as an "Indymedia Editorial Team'. There
are indymedia volunteers that help run the site, but the main point of
any IMC site is that it is based on the principle of Open Publishing,
which, it means just that: the news and general content of the site is
not made by a team of indymedia editors for activists out there. This
modus operandi would just replicate what mainstream and corporate media
do, which is, in fact, something indymedia is struggling to break.

3.- To send a long email, with some press release in it, or a long rant
about whatever subject, whithout having been formated (nor written) as
a feature (ie, introduction to the subject, some background info, and
then links to reports of the actions / campaings, etc.. then i'm afraid
you'll have to wait much longer than 'a few weeks' to see your story up
in the front page. We are not a service provider. If you want something
up in the site, just put it together and click the publish button
yourself.

I thought that after more than 6 years banging on about Open
Publishing, and IMC-UK being online, all this stuff would be quite
clear and acknowledged by the activist community (at very least) .. the
fact that it is still not, IS a very poor show too in my opinion.

Here there are some links that may help you to put a feature together.
Please do so and it will go up in the front page. The issue is very
much one that IMC-UK is here to cover.

* IMC UK Features 'How To' -
http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Local/UkFeaturesHowTo

* Creating Middle Column Features -
http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Local/UkMirFeatureTutorial

* Basic html tutorial:
http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Local/ImcUkBasicHTMLTute

* Here you'll find quite a few other useful tutorials -
http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Local/UkMirModeration

* There is also a general help page here:
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/static/help.html

Hope these help.

maqui