[Imc-uk-features] reposts and non original content

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Wed May 16 02:15:49 PDT 2007

Hi

On Wed 16-May-2007 at 09:47:43AM +0100, WietsE wrote:

> It seems like in the last 2 days a lot of articles from
> 'informationclearinghouse.info' have been reposted on
> the UK newswire. I just wanted to point it out and was
> wondering what others were thinking about this.
>
> http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/
>
> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/05/370806.html
> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/05/370735.html
> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/05/370734.html
> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/05/370733.html
> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/05/370732.html
>
> Also what is the score with reposts? When do we allow
> it?

When they are not corporate reposts and when they don't
break the guidelines?

These articles are all anti-war, anti-empire, not the kind
of content you find in the mainstream, these are the kind
of reposts I find interesting and read...

> When do we hide it? Is reposting from someones personal
> blog different that reposts from some NGOs website? At
> the moment it looks like the majority of newswire
> articles are reposts from somewhere. Non-original
> content...

We really need to get this sorted, there has been
discusion on this list about it before, we should try to
distill this into a wiki page...

My view id that "other press" shuld be renamed "reposts"
and that there should be a seperate publishing page for
these and a seperate newsire like on http://indybay.org/
-- this way the original reporting that is the main point
of indymedia can be seperated from the resposts of
alternative news which, though important, is not the
primary point of indymedia.

Chris

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World