[Imc-uk-network] [IMC-UK-Features] political policing / police state feature & I quit

mark mark at aktivix.org
Sat Mar 14 07:48:52 PDT 2009

Hi Ben, Hi everyone.

On Friday March 6th I created a filter to hide all posts and comments by
underclassrising.net because I'd already hidden 2 posts by the same
author including incitements to murder (see discussion here
https://we.riseup.net/imc-uk/incitement and here
http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-uk-moderation/2009-March/0306-nf.html).
Since then I've found another instance of the same author posting the
same comment and hidden that too. I put a note in the back-end message
board so other moderators could see what I'd done.

That was before Ben wrote this
http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-uk-moderation/2009-March/0307-oz.html
 which provides further arguments for why this user should be banned. I
agree with Ben's arguments in that post.

Yesterday, Chris switched off the auto-hide on the filter I'd set up. So
the situation is that we have at least two active contributors to this
project (Ben and I) who want this user banned, and one person (Chris)
who disagrees, changes the filter and (according to Ben) blocks
discussion of it on the list.

It seems that there is a serious problem with the way that power is
being used here. I'd like to know what Chris and the rest of us think we
should do about that.

Mark