[Imc-unity] Re: [Imc-unity] Fwd: [IMC-Process] SAN  DIEGO (responses to principles of unity)

lesmarquis lesmarquis@ziplip.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:27:57 -0800 (PST)

WOW. FEEDBACK!!!
Thanks for posting this Jason.
I'll have to take a look at our 'final' version of #3, before commenting. I've added some initial comments where appropriate. Will think more thoroughly and add more.

> > >San Diego discussion and action on IMC's Principles of Unity.

> > >++++++++++
> > >
> > >2) All IMC's consider open exchange of (2) and open access to information a
> > >prerequisite to the building of a more free and just society.
> > >
> > >NOTE 2: Strike "free speech" Replace with: "open exchange of and open
> access
> > >to information"
> > >
> > >ACTION: Accepted by consensus. Jonathan asked, as a point of information,
> > >whether "information" also meant opinion.

Should we add something about opinions/ideas etc???

.

> > >MARK'S ALTERNATIVE: 3) IMC members shall follow the highest journalistic
> > >standards in writing, photographing, filming and editing coverage of
> events,
> > >and shall make every effort to avoid compromising the legal rights of
> > >persons we cover.

I'll have to re-check 'our' version of this first, before commenting. But I'm not keen on "journalistic standards"....

> > >++++++++++

> > >5) The IMC Network and all local IMC collectives shall be not-for-profit.
> > >(6)
> > >
> > >NOTE 6: Rephrasing from proposed charter.
> > >
> > >DISCUSSION: Two concerns were expressed. Guy and Mark stressed that
> > >"not-for-profit" does not mean that an IMC can't sell merchandise to earn
> > >money for itself, or that it can't hire a paid staff person. It just means
> > >that all money earned is put back into the IMC and its programs instead of
> > >being paid to its members as shareholders.

That's my understanding as well

> > >++++++++++
> > >
> > >6) All IMC's recognize the importance of process to social change and are
> > >committed to the development of non-hierarchical and anti-authoritarian
> > >relationships (7), from interpersonal relationships to group dynamics.
> > >Therefore, shall organize themselves collectively and
> > >be committed to the principle of consensus decision making and the
> > >development of a [direct, participatory democratic process (8)] that is
> > >transparent to its membership.
> > >
> > >NOTE 7: Combination of #'s 6 and 8 from proposed charter. #6 now contains
> > >what was the first part of #8.
> > >
> > >NOTE 8: Requires better definition of terms.
> > >
> > >DISCUSSION: This was the longest and most controversial discussion of the
> > >meeting. Mark said he dislikes consensus decision-making process and would
> > >absolutely oppose any mandate from the IMC network that individual IMC's
> > >must use it. He read the above not only as a requirement that all
> > >IMC's must use consensus decision-making process but a statement that
> anyone
> > >who objects to it is ipso facto being hierarchical and authoritarian  an
> > >impression created by the fusion of what were
> > >originally two separate statements, which Mark argued should be
> > >re-separated. Edward pointed out that the statement as written refers to
> > >consensus decision-making "principle," not process.

As I read it, it also refers to "principal" not "process". This does not have to be as difficult as it may seem, we can tweek this more to emphasize "principal" over "process" and we can maybe say that while consesus is prefered, other forms "open/democratic/transparent/etc." work as well. possibly work those comments in with Mark's below.

> > >7) All IMC's commit themselves to making group decisions through a process
> > >that is democratic, is easily understood by all members, and encourages and
> > >facilitates full and open participation by all individuals who contribute
> > >their time, efforts and energies to their IMC.

That's all i have time for now, get more later, thanks.
Cheers, Sean