[Imc-unity] Principle #3

lesmarquis lesmarquis@ziplip.com
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 22:57:36 -0800 (PST)

=A0 Jason and all,
I think the final version that Cayce and I had worked out eliminated the be=
ginning of this principle and instead we focused on IMC space. We felt it w=
as too tricky a situation to extend some kind of privilege/protection to on=
ly certain groups of people and defining those groups would be impossible. =
Even though it is a common practice for IMC's and individual Indymedia acti=
vists to do so, it should not,could not be "formal" policy.

our wording went something like this:

"All IMC's respect the right of their contributors and participants to to r=
etain anonymity. With  this in mind, all IMC's respect the right of such pe=
ople who choose not to be photographed, filmed or identified and will encou=
rage all contributing reporters to do the same. It is required that anyone =
who wishes to record, film or photograph inside a physical IMC space announ=
ce their intention in advance to all present and respect the decision of an=
y person(s) who choose=20
not to be included."

Cheers, Sean

revision 1: =A0POU Working Group
#3 Indymedia respects the right of those who wish not to be identified for=
=20
any reason. With this in mind, all IMC's respect the right of activists who=
=20
choose not to be photographed or filmed, and will encourage all contributin=
g=20
reporters to do the same. It is required that anyone who wishes to record,=
=20
film or photograph inside a physical IMC space announce their intention in=
=20
advance to all present and respect the decision of any person(s) who choose=
=20
not to be included.

revision 2: Stephen K.
"#3) As individuals Indymedia respects the right of people to request that=
=20
they not be documented in any fashion, as we may wish the same at times.=20
However, circumstance will not always allow our members to comply with thes=
e=20
requests and we reserve the right to act upon our judgment. As an=20
expression of our solidarity with those we continue to document after being=
=20
requested to cease Indymedia will not violate the trust of individuals by=
=20
releasing compromising documents, film or tapes into the public domain or=
=20
surrender them to any authority."

revision 3: Mark Gabrish Conlan.
"3) As a general rule, Indymedia and its participants respect the right of=
=20
people to request that they not be photographed, filmed or documented in an=
y=20
fashion. However, when covering a public event where access is open to=20
anyone passing by, we reserve the right to document actions, verbal=20
statements or other conduct which we believe may infringe on the rights of=
=20
other participants, even if the people perpetrating such conduct request us=
=20
not to do so. Within physical spaces owned or controlled by an IMC, we=20
insist that anyone who wishes to record, film or photograph inside the spac=
e=20
announce their intention in advance to all present and respect the decision=
=20
of any person(s) who choose not to be included. We will also grant that sam=
e=20
right to any organization that requests it as a condition of our covering=
=20
their non-public activities and events."

revision 4: =A0ack!
"3) Indymedia and its participants respect the right of people who request=
=20
that they not be photographed, filmed or documented in any fashion. However=
,=20
while committed to respecting the wishes of activists, when covering a=20
public event, we reserve the right to document actions, verbal statements o=
r=20
other conduct even if the people perpetrating said conduct request us not t=
o=20
do so. =A0Within physical spaces owned or controlled by an IMC, it is requi=
red=20
that anyone who wishes to record, film or photograph inside the space=20
announce their intention in advance to all present and respect the decision=
=20
of any person(s) who choose not to be included. We will also grant that sam=
e=20
right to any organization that requests it as a condition of our covering=
=20
their non-public activities and events."=20

What do you all think of that?