[Ircd] Wanna-be-Che's status
alster at indymedia.org
Thu Jun 29 03:50:08 PDT 2006
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Let me start with a sum up:
che.indymedia.org is a linux-vserver which is meant to host the
Indymedia ircd, not neccessarily exclusively, but for the beginning. We
had intended to switch the ircd from ernesto.indymedia.org, where it is
now, to che, several weeks ago. Che has been readily setup and is
already linked to ernesto to estimate its reliability. However, the
server che runs on (and thus che, too), has shown to be unstable and not
suited for production use in the past. It was impossible to achieve a
consecutive uptime of >= 5 days.
The hosting collective running this server has made several attempts to
improve this situation. The last action in this direction have been a
couple profound changes to the setup of this system. These changes have
been made more than 10 days ago.
For this reason, I - personally - consider the server which the che
vserver runs on stable now. However, the hosting collective running the
server still needs to make a common decision on this.
More important for the IRCD working group is probably not just the
stable status, but the point when the server is considered suitable for
production use. There are some more pending changes to the basic system
setup, which are very neccessary to provide a usable service for all
involved parties in the medium term. Thus, even if the server has been
considered stable by everyone, it may not yet be 'officially' ready for
The right way, would be to wait for another 1,5 weeks (10 days) of
uninterrupted uptime _after_ said additional changes have been made and
the system has been acting in a reliable way in the meantime. On the
other hand, the changes which need yet to be done are not as grave as
the previous ones and it is less probable that they will cause mid or
long term problems. They will, however, result in service interruptions.
This is the current status. We should now make a decision on when to
move ernesto to che, i.e.
- - do we want to move it to che before che is considered ready for
production, not caring about service interruptions or
- - do we want to wait even longer, and only finish the move to ernesto at
the point where the hosting collective running the server hosting che
considers the system ready for production use?
This decision is not only up to IRCd. Tammo, who has been kindly
providing hosting for ernesto in the past year(s?), would like to have
the ircd move off the server it is currently on quite soon. As such,
above question also goes to tammo, and most of all to him.
Fingerprint 1B8B 128F 8435 541C B3A5 1B7E CF5A 9D55 0505 9C17
All other http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Main/AlsteR
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the ircd