[Listwork] problem with all lists

Alster alster at indymedia.org
Wed Jun 22 08:29:02 PDT 2011

On 22.06.2011 05:11 Don Goldhamer wrote:
> Chicago folks seem not to be able to send email to any of our
> lists.indymedia.org lists (e.g. IMC-chicago-video) -- help!

This is probably fixed now. Our (outdated) version of the GNU Mailman
mailing list software seems to have a bug which causes it to 'get stuck'
from time to time, so that incoming mail is no longer processed. This
has happened a couple times during the past weeks. This time it got
stuck for 18 hours, but it's been worked around for now, so mailing
lists work again.

I've described in roots' "Changelog" (a textfile stored on the server)
how to detect this situation. People who do not have access to the
server can inspect the "sent/received msgs" graphs on
http://sarai.indymedia.org/cgi-bin/mailgraph.cgi
and check whether there are extended periods with no or very little sent
mail (blue) activity.

However, a real fix is needed, which will have to be a Mailman upgrade.
But this requires that someone gets the source code, applies our patches
to it, rewrites the patches which didn't apply to make them apply,
builds the packages, tests them on another system, then upgrades the
installation on sarai. And the Listwork working group lacks volunteers
who are qualified to take on this.

Alster
--
GPG key   http://zimmermann.mayfirst.org/pks/lookup?search=0x3B4044FD
GPG FP    55A9 A530 06D4 8C7C 7CBC  7C98 4F39 0F83 3B40 44FD