[New-imc] membership criteria for hartford imc

David Rozza ryzrocker at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 10:14:00 PDT 2005

IMC MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA - DRAFT Each IMC and Global Working Group is
expected to:

a. Agree in spirit to the NIMC MissionStatement and PrinciplesOfUnity,
yes

b. Have a committed membership substantial enough to sustain a functional
IMC,
yes

c. Have open and public meetings (no one group can have exclusionary
"ownership" of an IMC),           yes

d. Work toward developing a local Mission Statement or Statement of Purpose.
Network Mission Statement may be adopted or used on an interim basis,
       The Hartford Independent Media Center is an open,volunteer
collective. We work to create a grassroots,non-hierarchical,anti-corporate
forum for people to express themselves-to “be the media.” We exist in order
to provide a real alternative.

e. Establish and publish an editorial policy which is developed and
functions through democratic process, and with full transparency,
The Hartford Independent Media Center accepts all types of
submissions,stories,news,commentary,editorials,artwork,cartoons,etc.
We reserve the right to edit submissions for length and content. Please
contact us if you do not want any changes made to your submission. Articles
are generally prioritized based first on their relevance to the Hartford
area,and second on their timeliness to local and worldwide events. Articles
are peer edited regarding their content and grammar.As far as content is
concerned,articles must agree with our principles of unity in order to be
considered for publishing.

f. Agree to the use of Open Publishing as described in the NIMC Editorial
Policy [editorial collective comments: "We did agree that the term "Open
Publishing" was one that is still being defined by the Global Network
Collective, and we would wait and see what the results were before rewriting
this criteria],
Yes ,this would work on the Hartford IMC website. Due to space constraints
submissions to the newspaper must comply with our points of unity and our
submissions guidelines.

g. Adopt a decision-making policy that is in alignment with consensus
principles which include open, transparent and egalitarian processes,
We do.

h. Have a spokesperson(s) willing and capable of participating in the global
decision-making process and meetings as a rotating liaison/representative,
with a clear understanding of the responsibilities that come with this role,
yes

i. Participate in the key IMC Network Communication Methods that pertain to
the health and vitality of the Network and that contribute to the work of
the IMC. Assure that at least one person from your local IMC participates at
any given time on the IMC-Communications list,
yes

j. (NOT FINALIZED): Have no official affiliation with any political party,
state or candidate for office (comments: but individual producers have
freedom to do whatever they like and local IMCs can "feature" stories about
various political parties and initiatives),
we have none

k. IMCs shall in no way engage in commercial for-profit enterprises. [We
could add: The IMCN is committed to the decommercialization of information
and will disassociate from any local IMC that decides to become a for profit
media corporation.]
The only thing we do is hold fundraisers for the newspaper we print.

l. Display a ³local version² of the IMC ³i² logo on your website and
literature.
We currently do

m. Include the IMC Network current ³Cities List² on your site, preferably on
the front page.
We are willing to include a list of cities on our indymedia website once we
get it running.

NETWORK MEMBERSHIP 1. Network Membership is open to any group that accepts
the above criteria for membership. In the case of several requests from the
same city or region, we will encourage them to meet and work together.

2. Network Membership in the NIMC will be confirmed by the New IMC Working
Group, which is accountable to IMC-Process and ultimately to the NIMC
decision-making process.

DEFINING OUR TERMS: For clarity and precision, we need to define our terms
more carefully so there is less room for misunderstanding. Also explains how
we as a culture (the IMC culture) use these terms.

* NIMC = Network of Independent Media Centers

* Open = means that diverse people and groups are welcome to attend and that
no attempt is made to exclude people based on their sex, race, gender,
class, age, ability or religion.

* Official affiliation = still being worked on

                                                             -dave

dave rozza
555 asylum st #406
hartford,ct 06105