[New-imc] version 0.3: PROPOSAL (DISCUSSION phase) - new-imc statement to imc-process

boud boud at riseup.net
Fri Sep 8 15:43:33 PDT 2006

hi new-imc

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, nick wrote:

> I like it.  I suggest taking out: "While it is true that no formal
> process of disaffiliation has occurred, the reality is that the old
> IMC Darwin, as accepted by the network, no longer exists.   It has not
> been disaffiliated, but it doesn't exist any more. " and put in some
> other stuff (see below).

Hmmm i forgot to remove the word "affiliation", even after complaining about
it being patriarchal. Anyway, since i'm the only one complaining, that's
a minor issue.

Anyway, i've made mostly minor corrections - i put v0.3 in the Subject.

pozdr
boud

PROPOSAL: new-imc statement about the old IMC Darwin collective  v0.3

STATEMENT + PROPOSAL by new-imc to the network (imc-process)

STATEMENT:

The new-imc working group considers the old IMC Darwin collective,
whose main contact was fi and tech contact was mick [1] and which was
accepted into the network in July 2004 [2] to have split up into two
groups. We believe that it is unrealistic to expect the two groups in
Darwin to work together as a single collective, so we are helping the
two groups to independently go through the new-imc process as
autonomous new collectives. [3]

We suggest describing the two new, post-split groups as:
* "new Darwin IMC", whose mailing list is:
* "IMC Arafura", whose mailing list is:

One difficulty in the reorganising process of the two new groups is
that some individuals continue to make statements like "Darwin IMC is
an affiliated indymedia collective". We note that in addition to
disaffiliation, which occurs when the network agrees that, for
example, an indymedia collective has violated the Principles of Unity
[4] or the Membership Criteria [5], affiliation can also be terminated
when a collective ceases to exist.  Often this might go unnoticed, and
new folks continue in place of others who have stopped doing indymedia
work. However, in this case, since the original group split up into
what are now two groups, and since these two groups have sufficient
points of contention, we feel that the best solution is the following
proposal.

PROPOSAL:

"The IMC network considers the original IMC Darwin collective to have
split up and to no longer exist as a functional collective. We
consider the activists in the Darwin region who are organising on
these two mailing lists and in face-to-face meetings:
to consist of two new collectives (suggested, non-obligatory temporary
names: "new Darwin IMC" and "IMC Arafura" respectively) and until one
or both have been proposed to the network on imc-process and consensed
by the network, neither of these groups is recognised as an IMC
collective."

LINKS:
[1] http://archives.lists.indymedia.org/new-imc/2004-May/005125.html
[2] http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-process/2004-July/0712-xa.html