[Payment-discuss] feedback for my article about payment for indybook

sheri@speakeasy.org sheri at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 12 15:04:30 PST 2007

hi deva,

i just don't see this as black and white as you.  i think absolutes are dangerous.  they tend toward the slippery slope of fundamentalist thinking.  in that world, we start saying, i am right and you are wrong.  or even worse, i am always right and you are always wrong.  or my imc is better than yours because we don't take money and we don't pay anyone.  we are more radical than you.  this just isn't true.

you say that payment going into the pockets of people is the problem.  but the examples i know of was people were getting payment and they put their lifeblood back into the imc.  this is very different than what i see out in the normal business world of salaries.  there is a difference between a salary in this case and a stipend.  i disagree with you on that one.  call it what you want, but it looks and smells very different.  one continues to support the organization to the full extent of one's ability.  this to me can be a gift.

the question about techies then is still unresolved if i go ahead with your payment definition.  i know many techies who spent hours and hours of work on indymedia work (running the servers, the backends, software development, protest support, etc.) and they were being paid by corporations.....where does this fit for you?  it seems that this is never really raised as a concern.  it's like that's okay.  i don't see it as being much different.

one no, many yeses.

the zapatistas pay people.

absolutes isn't a reflection of how things work.  we all hold pieces of the truth and we all err in our judgments here and there and we need all of us to figure out how to make indymedia work.  my assumption is that diversity makes us stronger.

is there anything we can learn here instead of merely assuming that the other is wrong?

there is a power in the intention of good that people who have been paid to do work in indymedia have demonstrated.  anyone in seattle or beyond who knew jeffp would never have begrudged him the pittance he received to work 80 hours a week at the beginning of the indymedia network's birth.  the community supported him, here in seattle and beyond.  if people didn't know that that was the case, it's perhaps because they didn't ask or listen closely enough.

write a factual history - like the boston imc's mission statement says - passionate and accurate reporting of the facts.  don't be afraid of the bias inherent in your words or your heart, but let us look to the present and the future.

how we can we learn to move forward as a global network with differences.  perhaps there are subnetworks.  this subnetwork has this principle of unity which says no one shall ever be paid to do anything in indymedia, except....(i still truthfully don't understand the reasoning you express deva about how certain things are acceptable but others are not), and then another subnetwork keeps the same principles and articulates a clear expression of the limits of paying people or not and how this power differential shall be reflected upon in the local imc.

abuse of power is what i hear as the concern for paying people, but we never really get to that topic.  i've suggested there are other ways that abuse of power exists in this network that might even be more insidious.  fleshing those out in a space of integrity and transparency would be good too.  if we really do care about the future of indymedia as a sustainable network.  i know i do.  the world needs indymedia to be strong and not to be divisive.  it feels like we're doing the infighting that the "system" would expect us to do....

love
sheri

there's an organization called resist.  they are pretty radical.  they fund pretty radical projects.  people have said it's okay to take money from them in the form of microgrants.