[Sfbay-video] Co-Optation, Re-Packaging, often deceiving producers

Jeff jeff at whisperedmedia.org
Thu Apr 14 12:35:38 PDT 2005

what James and Lisa and Mia have brought up are all valid points ... why
didn't some of these celebs and funders just contact us directly and offer
to help us make our existing projects better and more sustainable? Why?
Because they want to re-package and re-present our work under their new
name and foundation friendly group ... So, it is good to be leary ... like
when say Deep Dish TV said they wanted to pull segments whole from We
Interupt This Empire and to help us promote our existing work, when really
they wanted to cherry pick it for the best content and repackage under
their big name to justify their continued grants and all of that while not
respecting any of the wishes of the content providers and maybe
(begrudgingly in the end) barely giving credit to works they ultimately
stole from ... (see Shocking and Aweful)  ... OK, but say groups like Free
Speech TV and/or Deep Dish TV are more like ourselves than this new thing,
and if Free Speech TV has some reach and potential right now, then, why
didn't the new group (Current) propose to help them? Everyone wants to
re-invent the wheel and repackage existing content under new names and
groups that they have more say over and so forth ... and basically, many
of them do want to take your content for good reasons, but they are
afflicted with John Deweyite sentiments ... they think thay can cherry
pick your content, polish it up and make it more palatable to regular
americans ... So, that kind of thinking sucks and it's the reason that so
many good content providers drop out of group work or just do something
else ... because often times, the way people cooperate is more like
co-optation and/or eclipsing ... For instance, since Dee Dee and her
current group of trust-fund kids are busy promoting and screening their
new re-packaged version of We Interrupt This Empire, they are actually
taking away from screening possibilities and funding potential from the
work that they steal from, and most likely, since they did derive so much
of their content, ideas, footage, and even edits from the pieces they
co-opted, they, will not want audiences to really know about the original
works ... you have to drag them into linking and listing and
cross-promoting ...

MORE CROSS PROMOTION .... MORE SUPPORT FOR EXISTING STRUCTURES AND
EXISTING PROJECTS AND LESS NEAT, NEW REPACKAGED THINGS ... THAT IS WHAT
THIS MOVEMENT NEEDS ... NEVER FORGET THAT MY INDY MEDIA MAKER AMIGOS ...

Jeff