[Fwd: [www-features] READY TO POST?: HAPPY BIRTHDAY INDYMEDIA : Looking Back Five Years to the Battle of Seattle]

GarconDuMonde gdm at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Dec 1 19:09:09 PST 2004

wowi wrote:
 > A slightly edited version of the santacruz story proposed from links
 > sent to the list.

great!! thanks... i've made a few minor additions/changes... hope it's ok.

 > I think this needs to go up asap!

agreed!! someone else wanna post it?

 > Pic: From original story?

sure - hope i've got the right url?

love and soldarity,

	--gdm

TITLE: HAPPY BIRTHDAY INDYMEDIA : Looking Back Five Years to the Battle
of Seattle
SUBTITLE: INDYMEDIA

PIC: http://santacruz.indymedia.org/usermedia/image/5/democracy_wto.jpg

ABSTRACT:

href="http://santacruz.indymedia.org/newswire/display/13060/index.php">WTO
saw beyond the borders that divide us. We
saw people come together across every kind of political and cultural
difference and stand up in a way that we had not seen in this country
for decades. We saw peaceful protests shut down one of the most powerful
institutions in the world and we saw a system dazed and frightened by
the sound of our voices.</p>

resistance against a global economic system that gives private
corporations more power than governments. In the morning hours of N30,
1999, tens of thousands of activists from across the globe converged in
the streets of downtown Seattle, to shut down meetings of the World
Trade Organization, the undemocratic, international governing forum of
neoliberal globalization.</p>

violent police response to the largely peaceful demonstrations. The date
is also remembered as the
birth of the Independent Media Center: <a
href="http://www.indymedia.org/">www.indymedia.org</a>, which has since
developed into a global network of over 150 different Independent Media
Centers.</p>

href=http://santacruz.indymedia.org/newswire/display/13061/index.php>This
is What Democracy Looks Like<a/> ]</br />

[ <a href=http://nyc.indymedia.org/feature/display/134206/index.php>&quot;5
yrs on..&quot;<a/> - story on New York Indymedia | <a
href=http://santacruz.indymedia.org/feature/display/13076/index.php>original

atory</a> - Santacruz Indymedia ]</p>

BODY:

<P>The Independent Media Center is a network of collectively run media
outlets for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate tellings
of the truth. We work out of a love and inspiration for people who
continue to work for a better world, despite corporate media's
distortions and unwillingness to cover the efforts to free humanity.</p>

href="http://www.indymedia.org/">www.indymedia.org</a>), was established by
various independent and alternative media organizations and activists in
1999 for the purpose of providing grassroots coverage of the <a
href="http://www.gatt.org/">World Trade Organization<a/> (WTO) protests in
Seattle. The center, built on the '<a
href="http://active.org.au/doc/">active</a>' software that had been
developed by the Sydney <a href="http://www.cat.org.au">Community Action
Technology/Catalyst</a> collective, acted as a clearinghouse of
information for
journalists and provided up-to-the-minute reports, photos, audio and
video footage through the website. Using the collected footage, the
Seattle Independent Media Center (<a
href="http://seattle.indymedia.org">seattle.indymedia.org<a/>) produced a
series of five documentaries, uplinked every day to satellite and
distributed throughout the United States to public access stations.</p>

Seattle and to other cities via the internet, as well as hundreds of
audio segments, transmitted through the web and Studio X, a 24-hour
micro and internet radio station based in Seattle. The site, which uses
a democratic open-publishing system, logged more than 2 million hits,
and was featured on America Online, Yahoo, CNN, BBC Online, and numerous
other sites. Through a decentralized and autonomous network, hundreds of
media activists setup independent media centers in London, Canada,
Mexico City, Prague, Belgium, France, and Italy over the next year. IMCs
have since been established on every continent, with more to come.</p>

href="http://process.indymedia.org/faq.php3">IMC Frequently Asked
Questions<a/>.</p>